Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated and desperate! Losing milk supply at 2 wks?

Default Frustrated and desperate! Losing milk supply at 2 wks?

I'm incredibly stressed and desperate for some advise/answers. I have PCOS and have heard that I may not be able to keep my milk supply up due to hormone imbalances. I want to do everything I can to BF my LO. My

My LO was born via c-section due to low amniotic fluids 3 weeks early on 5/18
    Birth weight 5lbs 12 oz.

She was extremely sleepy the first week of life and had a hard time latching and waking up for feeds (regardless of diaper changes, undressing, wet cloth on feet, etc.). She lost a lot of weight by her first Dr's appt. and before my milk came in.

1st appt. 4lbs 8 oz.
    Jaundiced

I was frantic. Luckily my milk came in that night and I started BF. It was still excruciatingly difficult to wake her for feeds, but she was getting enough milk and over the course of a week gained weight. Things gradually got better as we finally learned to latch properly.

2nd appt. 6lbs.
    No Jaundice

Things were great for a few days until I became engorged (able to pump 4 oz). Now I had an oversupply of foremilk and my LO was miserable! I read multiple columns and pumped only until I achieved relief, and fed from one side during feeds. Less than 24 hours later it seemed like I had completely lost my supply (only able to pump 1.5oz). My breasts were soft and no longer leaked.

At first I thought my breasts had regulated themselves to her needs, but now she seems insatiable and doesn't seem content after a feed. Her gas has gotten better and her stool is no longer green, however she seems to fall asleep often and quickly at the breast. Neither of us are getting much, if any sleep, since she wants to feed every hour, but doesn't sleep more than 15 minutes afterward. My husband has given her a bottle of BM, and she she slept soundly for 2 hours.

I know a growth spurt is normal for 3 weeks, but what about 2 weeks? I am worried that I am losing my supply and that she is no longer getting enough. I don't want her to lose any weight! I have been drinking Mother's Milk Tea, taking supplements, and eating oatmeal every morning, but I haven't really noticed a difference.

I am at my wits end. Has anyone else struggled with PCOS and milk supply, or had similar experiences with a 2 wkr?

Default Re: Frustrated and desperate! Losing milk supply at 2 wks?

hi mama,

congrattulations on your new little one!

i don't have experience or knowledge about PCOS, but most of what you describe is normal for a 2 week baby - freqent nursing, erratic sleeping, etc. the "insatiable" thing is smoething we hear all.the.time from new moms - it's just a normal phase of nursing where you tuck in with your book or computer and wait it out.

how are are diapers? that is really a good way of establishing whether she's getting enough right now. at least 5-6 wets and 4 poops per 24 hours, until she's 6 weeks, then poops can drop to less than once a week and still be normal (but i don't know how you adjst her age for that). that plus regular weight checks will tell you if you're having supply trouble due to the PCOS. (did she go from 4-8 to 6 lbs in a week?! or how fast?) make sure weight checks are all done naked, on the same scale, or they're useless.

hang in there, and good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I don't think you can judge whether a 2 week old baby is getting enough milk based on their behavior, because it's totally normal for a baby to want to nurse all the time and act fussy ("hungry") when not on the breast at that age.

The best way to judge how much milk is going in is to look at what's coming out - count diapers and do semi-regular weight checks. No other method is effective.

The softness of your breasts and your pumping output (1.5 ounces in a session is actually really good for a mom pumping in addition to nursing at 2 weeks!) are also not good indicators of your actual supply. Once your supply calms down after that normal engorgement period, it's normal to not feel "full," especially in the evening hours. I would suggest that you stop worrying about those things for now, and spend a day counting diapers. Hopefully you'll be reassured, but if not, come back here and let us know!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with pps

I'm incredibly stressed and desperate for some advise/answers. I have PCOS and have heard that I may not be able to keep my milk supply up due to hormone imbalances. I want to do everything I can to BF my LO.
    the operative word here is MAY. You also may have no milk supply issues at all. This runs the gamut with PCOS.

Nothing you describe here neccesarily indicates low milk supply to me. Newborns of just a few weeks MUST nurse very frequently (a minimum of 10-12 times a 24 hour day) in order to get enough and to bring momma's milk supply to appropriate levels. Don't even think about growth spurts at this point, for one thing they cna happen anytime, and for another this whole time is normally one of major growth & very frequent nursing. Leaking and engorgement are things some moms experience and others do not. They mean little to nothing as far as milk supply is concerened.

I would suggest to NOT worry at this point at all about so called foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, especially if that worry is causing you to limit baby's time at the breast. I expect you pumped 4 ounces (unusual) due to being engorged. Milk supply does not typically dry up in 24 hours and I cannot imagine how what you did for the forceful letdown would cause that to happen. But in any case there is no reason to limit nursing session frequency even if you do have forceful letdown. All your milk is good for baby, and forceful letdown has to be quite pronounced to affect baby the way you describe. A baby this age has an extremely immature digestive system and will be fussy and gassy and pooping green for any number of reasons.

If you do have low supply, there are many ways to help with that. You can best tell about how much milk baby is getting at this point from both weight gain and poop output. Baby behavior offers clues but can be very misleading. Good sleep after a bottle couls have a million causes, don;t let that undermine your confidence. Also baby not getting enough can have other causes besides low milk supply. I suggest the books Making More Milk and also The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th ediiton)

This article has info on what is normal in the early days. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

diaper log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

I suggest holding off on bottles if you can and seeing an IBCLC if possible. Before and after nursing weight checks (preferably at least 3 over a few days) may tell you more about what is happening when your baby nurses.

1/3 of women with PCOS have low supply, 1/3 have normal supply, and 1/3 actually have oversupply. I have mild PCOS and had oversupply. Chances are very very good all is fine with your milk supply because your milk came in and you experienced engorgement. It's when the milk never comes in or is very low all along there might be an issue.

you are probably experiencing a normal growth spurt. but what I would do, really with any 2 week old baby, PCOS or not, is simply watch diapers and listen for swallowing. If you are seeing enough wet and poopy diapers and she is seeing a dr regularly to be weighed I wouldn't sweat it!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein