Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supply regulation

Default supply regulation

OK, so I know it's normal for supply to regulate over time, sometimes even quicker with subsequent children. But since DD has been sleeping longer stretches at night (about 6 hours, and I pump the side she doesn't nurse from at night) it seems like my breasts are soooo soft. Especially the right one (which has traditionally been the underachiever). It's freaking me out, but I know as long as diapers are good there's no need to worry, right?

Also, speaking of the right side, she tends to reject it sometimes. I can usually only get her to nurse well from that side when she is really really drowsy. How can I keep up production in the underachieving side? I don't want to pump it after every feeding. Theoretically I could probably nurse exclusively from the left, but I'd still need the right for pumping when I go back to work next month.

Sorry if I'm rambling...DH is out of town, MIL is here to "help" and I'm just tired and feel overwhelmed....
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: supply regulation

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post
    It's freaking me out, but I know as long as diapers are good there's no need to worry, right?
    Right. Try to stop worrying; you're doing great!

Also, speaking of the right side, she tends to reject it sometimes. I can usually only get her to nurse well from that side when she is really really drowsy. How can I keep up production in the underachieving side? I don't want to pump it after every feeding. Theoretically I could probably nurse exclusively from the left, but I'd still need the right for pumping when I go back to work next month.
    My baby didn't like my right side either. I just had to adjust his positioning a lot, rock and sing and do my best to keep him calm and happy on the right, and relatch again and again and again. I would offer twice on the right to every one time he would nurse on the left to give him more practice on the right side. That boosted supply some on the right side too, which I think also helped him accept it a little better.

Eventually he did start nursing better on the right, and I'm glad that we stuck with it. There have been a few times when he has been teething and his latch has gotten goofy for a spell when he actually preferred the right. Nursing during those times was also more comfortable for me on the right.

It's tedious and frustrating, but I think just a little practice might be enough bring your baby to nurse a little better on the right side. Good luck!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).