Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 18 days old and really need help

Default Re: 18 days old and really need help

Evening fussiness is often difficult to distinguish from hunger. If baby refuses to nurse, here are some things to try:
    - White noise
    - Calm house- turn off the lights, tv, and stereo
    - Motion- rocking, swaying, bouncing, riding in car or stroller, etc.
    - Closeness- snuggle baby in a sling
    - Warm bath
    - Take baby outside

Basically it's all about changing the sensory input. Of course, keep offering to nurse- eventually baby will decide to settle down and eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Keep switching sides,over and over. She probably isn't hungry. It is probably evening fussies and nothing makes them happy then
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'll have to try some of that. She acts hungry but she won't nurse so it's hard to figure it out. It'd just be nice if she'd figure out what it is she wants a little earlier so i can get some sleep lol

Hang in there, mama. You are doing a fabulous job and very soon this will be a thing of the past. A great hurdle that you have surpassed.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

So far she's still going without a bottle and has plenty of wet diapers. She hasn't had a dirty diaper since the morning before yesterday though. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and it's actually a little watery when she does go so i guess she's still ok. I hope so anyways

As long as she's peeing things are okay on a basic level. But if she goes more than a few days without pooping, you may want to see your pediatrician for a weight check, and maybe contact a LC for an evaluation of what is going on. Not to worry you- most likely everything is fine! It's just that when you transition back to exclusive breastfeeding, you want to be a little more careful than average.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"