Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18 days old and really need help

Default Re: 18 days old and really need help

You may have to tough this out. My oldest son was given a bottle when I was transferred postpartum by my midwife for emergency surgery. He had to have something, as it was obvious he had low blood glucose. I was too out of it to say no bottle. Oops. But we fought nipple confusion, which is what you have here, for weeks after that one bottle I ended up saying no bottles, despite what everyone around me was saying, and spent a lot of time crying along with him and eventually overcame it. He nursed for 2 years.

I hesitate to suggest a nipple shield, but sometimes that is a good interim step.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

She won't nurse anymore tho so i haven't to give her a bottle so she doesn't end up dehydrated. When i made her go without her bottle her diaper count went down even tho at the time she was still nursing. We use a nipple shield already because she decided she wouldn't nurse without it. I don't know what her problem is because she was 3 days old before i was able to even try breasfeeding. She latched on and did great from there on. She never had a problem switching from breast to bottle and back until a cpl days ago when she refused anything but the bottle even tho she still knows how to nurse. She just doesn't want me and i don't know why

It's not about you. She prefers a bottle. Did you see links on overcoming nipple preference? Alternative feeding methods? You need to look at those. You can do this. Many of us here have had to overcome nipple prefencence.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've checked the links and have been trying the things on there and have been looking into other ways to feed her. She just didn't seem to care about that tho. I finally just took the nipple off of her bottle and stuck my finger in it so she wouldn't get air and gave it to her hoping that if she realized nothing was gonna come out of it anymore then she'd give in and take the milk however she could get it. I don't know if it worked or not, but we've made it over 12 hours without a bottle and i'm running on 3 hours of sleep. But as of right now, no bottle!

Keep working on it! You can do it!
    Susan

You CAN do this! Hang in there. She's not a dumb baby...bottles are easier and that is what she is preferring. But if you can make it 12hrs, you can make it 24hrs. Baby steps, baby steps. Try to catch a nap if you can. Sit in a bathtub with your toddler and bring the baby in there with you. Warm water is relaxing and may help her nurse.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

12 hours and no bottle? That's FABULOUS, mama! We know you've had to work really hard for this. Just keep it up, and you're going to be one of the success stories.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

good job!!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you all so much for the help and support! It's made all the difference! We're still going without a bottle, but still having some issues. She squirms and keeps letting go nearly the whole she's trying to eat, and when she finishes both sides and i move her back to the first side, she freaks thinking there's nothing there and i can't get her to nurse for another hour. Late in the evenings and at night are mostly when she doesn't get enough milk to get full and we have to fuss or let her go hungry until she's willing to try again...i'm just glad we're able to get it worked out and get her off the formula. I hope she continues to nurse because the formula started making her sick and there's only one kind left to try that she might possibly be able to have.

You mentioned something about her getting mad waiting for the let down, have you tried pumping to get the milk flowing and then latching? Maybe she's just impatient. It might help to do some skin to skin with her to get her calmed down between offering breasts. This would include you being topless with the baby in nothing but a diaper with a blanket or something over you. They have done a lot of studies and found that babies who even had never breastfed would breastfeed after doing the skin to skin. I know you already have another little one to take care of, but you could probably try this when someone else has your other daughter so you can focus on trying to get her latch well. Hope this helps.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011