Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18 days old and really need help

Default Re: 18 days old and really need help

18 day old babies will do that. I had a wicked oversupply and mine would act famished 24/7 some days early on. It's exhausting, but it really does get easier. Good luck.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Now she won't nurse at all. All she does is scream and hit me whether she gets any milk at all. After over an hour of that we had to give her a bottle. Her wet diaper count looks a little low too. I don't know what to do... :'(

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ative-feeding/

Rebuilding your supply is a process. Keep working at it, let baby nurse as much as possible.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Keep working at it, let baby nurse as much as possible.
    Just keep working at it. If baby is in freak-out mode, it may help to give a little bit of milk via bottle and then, when the edge has been taken off baby's hunger, to offer the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just a note: even if your breasts feel empty, baby is still getting milk. You make milk continuously. The emptier your breasts are, the faster your body makes it. Full breasts signal your body to slow production. If you offer both sides, and baby is still hungry, continuing to try to nurse first of all gives her more milk (just not as fast as the massive upfront letdown), and secondly sends the message to your body that it needs to increase supply.

We're still trying but at night it gets so hard to keep going and not hand her off to someone else to feed. She doesn't have the patience to wait for let down anymore and when i can manage to keep her calm long enough, she gets mad again as soon as the flow slows down. Unless of course she falls asleep...but then she doesn't suck as good so i don't know if that's better or not...

have you tried out side-lying nursing for nighttime (or anytime)? it's pretty awesome, if you have a safe bed you can both get some more rest:

http://mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm
    http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/

and just to echo everyone else: just keep switching her back and forth. everyone is exhuasted at 18 days. it only gets better and easier!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I've tried laying down with her but she won't latch that way for some reason. I just can't seem to get her bottle away from her. I don't know why she doesn't want anything (even breastmilk) unless it comes out of that bottle. If i had another way to feed her that she would accept i'd just trash the stupid things and never buy another one...

Try swaddling her when you nurse her. That may help. I offered my pinky finger for the baby to suck on until he calmed down. Then I took my finger out of his mouth and latched him on. If he got hysterical again, I'd take him off, offer the pinky finger to let him suck on and calm him down, and then try again. I absolutely did not give him anymore bottles. It was ROUGH, but he eventually realized that I was more stubborn than he was and he started nursing
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I tried giving her something to suck on until she calmed down but unless it was a bottle, it just made things worse. Does anyone know how to make her bottles less appealing to her? Maybe some way to where she won't get milk immediately without getting too much air in the process?

I've been looking into lact-aid or sns but since she screams as long as she's at the breast if there's milk or not, i don't know if it'll be worth spending the money on or if i'm just gonna have to give up...