Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump for time limit or to drain?

Default Pump for time limit or to drain?

My little guy doesn't have a strong suck so I've been having to supplement. I pump 30 minutes after each feed for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I'm drained before the time is up and sometimes I could keep going. Should I continue pumping til I'm drained or should I stop after like 15 minutes? I'm trying to increase my supply in hopes that my little guy will get more from the breast and I can eventually stop pumping...hopefully.

Default Re: Pump for time limit or to drain?

if you're trying to increase your supply, you should pump past the last drops. you are using your milk to supplement him, right? are you doing this at the breast with a lactation aid? that'll help you get off the pumping faster.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hi mama, a few ideas are to pump for at least 15 mins and then about 5 minutes after milk stops flowing, you want to build your supply. Put baby to the breast often, like 12x per day, you can try a supplemental nursing system to get baby what she needs while also stimulating your body to make milk. Positioning is critical as well, many times a baby with a weak suck will benefit from different positions or holds that assist their latch ( they need a great latch so make sure to work on it). I suggest either a football hold, or in extreme cases there is a hold called the dancer hold ( google it) that can be used for babies
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks ladies. I usually do pump for 15 minutes and that more often than not drains me dry but I don't often look for the drain as I do the clock. The other thing is my right side is WAY low...it has been since I got mastitis a couple weeks ago. I can't get it to produce nearly what I can on my left. Not sure how to increase that or if it even will. It never gets as full as my left side when I nurse and when I pump I usually only get a half an ounce out of it but my left side I can get 1-2 oz. Can mastitis be the cause of this? Any suggestions?

same suggestions as before - nurse first on the right, consistently. if you want to you can pump a little more on the right. but overall it's normal to have (even wide) difference in production between sides.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks. It wasn't as drastic as a difference before I had mastitits. I've not heard whether this is common or can happen after mastitits but it's the only thing I can point my finger at. thanks for the tips on pumping. Sounds like I'm on the right foot...I'll try to make sure to keep pumping if I'm still drawing milk when I pump. Thanks!

Some sides just don't make as much, and you might not get it back entirely.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!