Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How did you know your baby had....

Arrow How did you know your baby had....

How did you know your baby had a sensitivity to what you ate?? I have always been a dairy lover.. I could eat yogurt,ice cream, cheese,and all things dairy ALL DAY LONG! I love that stuff. Recently I have noticed that it cramps my stomach and gives me terrible irritated feeling. I have noticed that when I had it--I hurt and the baby is fussy and gassy. I could literally hear her stomach churning and she would cry and poot.

I didn't have this before-- have you guys noticed this too.

Ohh btw--she's 5 weeks old. I have since switched to almond milk and no issues as of yet.
    Wife.Mother.Sister.Friend.ChildoftheKing. I am a mother to a bubbly preteen (12) and a very active newborn (4-24-12)

Thank you ladies in advance for your support. I couldnt do it without you!!

I and bottle fed (exclusively) until 5-28-12 when my sweet baby started back (exclusively) It has not been an easy road at all. I
    But now.... My sweet pea LOVES my BOOBIES!!!

Default Re: How did you know your baby had....

How is her stool? Often a dairy sensitivity presents as green mucusy poop.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; June 2nd, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Does your LO vomit after you eat dairy? That happened to my friend whose baby had a dairy sensitivity ... at the time she told me that babies who have this sensitivity can grow out of it around ~6 mo, but I don't have personal experience with it so I don't know this for sure (although this did in fact happen with her LO). According to The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, babies can grow out of food sensitivities and some allergies by ~1 year old. Dairy can also be a major culprit among food sensitivities.

It does seem interesting that dairy is seeming to affect YOU now and that the almond milk didn't do the same ... I wonder if all the hormone shifts can affect these things. When I was in my third trimester I couldn't have tomato-based sauce because it irritated my stomach; after I had the LO it went away. Sorry not to be able to help more. I hope others can add to the discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilpats-mama View Post

It does seem interesting that dairy is seeming to affect YOU now and that the almond milk didn't do the same ... I wonder if all the hormone shifts can affect these things. When I was in my third trimester I couldn't have tomato-based sauce because it irritated my stomach; after I had the LO it went away. Sorry not to be able to help more. I hope others can add to the discussion!
    I'm sorry that I'm not understanding. Why would almond milk make her feel the same way as dairy products? Almond milk is made from almonds and water.

The issue you are describing sounds like lactose intolerance, OP. It's not uncommon for it to spark up later in life. Mine didn't start until I hit about 17. It has gotten worse over the years. I believe it takes quite awhile to clear dairy from your system if it's bothering your baby.

Take note that dairy is hidden in lots of food products, it you are developing a sensitivity to it.

What you are describing - lactose intolerance in adults and dairy sensitivity in babies are two different things. But if drinking almond milk and laying off dairy seems to be helping you both - I'd stick with it.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Sorry that was unclear. I meant that it was interesting that dairy was suddenly bothering HER (and not just the baby possibly reacting to it) - and agreeing that the fact that she hasn't had any issues since replacing it with almond milk means that it may be an actual dairy intolerance for her. My other suggestion was (possibly) hormone-related digestion issues, as I mentioned I had with the tomato sauce. I hope that makes more sense!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    How is her stool? Often a dairy sensitivity presents as green mucusy poop.

The other day she let out a long green thick mucus string in the midst of seedy yellow poop?? What
    ever that means..lol
    Wife.Mother.Sister.Friend.ChildoftheKing. I am a mother to a bubbly preteen (12) and a very active newborn (4-24-12)

I and bottle fed (exclusively) until 5-28-12 when my sweet baby started back (exclusively) It has not been an easy road at all. I

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilpats-mama View Post
    Does your LO vomit after you eat dairy? That happened to my friend whose baby had a dairy sensitivity ... at the time she told me that babies who have this sensitivity can grow out of it around ~6 mo, but I don't have personal experience with it so I don't know this for sure (although this did in fact happen with her LO). According to The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, babies can grow out of food sensitivities and some allergies by ~1 year old. Dairy can also be a major culprit among food sensitivities.

yes!! I wonder why now??!! Babies change us soo! Gotta love them..lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I'm sorry that I'm not understanding. Why would almond milk make her feel the same way as dairy products? Almond milk is made from almonds and water.

The issue you are describing sounds like lactose intolerance, OP. It's not uncommon for it to spark up later in life. Mine didn't start until I hit about 17. It has gotten worse over the years. I believe it takes quite awhile to clear dairy from your system if it's bothering your baby.

Take note that dairy is hidden in lots of food products, it you are developing a sensitivity to it.

What you are describing - lactose intolerance in adults and dairy sensitivity in babies are two different things. But if drinking almond milk and laying off dairy seems to be helping you both - I'd stick with it.
    Yeah! I thk it's me with the tolerance issue. But she is doing fine. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsjenks View Post
    Yeah! I thk it's me with the tolerance issue. But she is doing fine. Thanks!!
    Glad to hear she is doing fine! Sorry to hear about the dairy issue for you, though. Feel better!