Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rough night- please advise!

Default Rough night- please advise!

Couple differe nt things going on here with the little babe. (5 wks old/ebf/co-sleeping)
    lYesterday, I noticed he was 'gagging' somewhat- took me by suprise- kinda scary but it didnt last long and nothing came up. It happened 3 times. But normal behavior otherwise. I just noted it and looked it up in Dr. Sears book- didnt really get a clear answer. When I took him to his 1 mn check up, last week, I had Ped. look at his tongue- It is white- She examined and said it's not thrush, just milk residue- not on lips, cheeks, anything like that. Also, was advised I would be itchy or show signs on nipples as well. Ok, back to last night, My mother insisted DH and I go grab a bite to eat, she has been around him almost everyday of his life, I always protest, but I gave in this time- I feel terrible when Im away from him, 2nd time of eating out no more than an hour away, still! too long but anyway, I trust her 100%. LUCKY to have her. Nursed him right before I left. So we went and came back asap- He was fussy for the rest of the night- he would fuss at the breast- latch on for a few min and then pull off/ cry/ whine a bit/ I could not completely console him/ i was in tears/ that never happens. I felt like he was "mad" at me or it was bothering/hurting him to nurse. Rough night. Feel guilty and dont want to leave him even for a second. Ok- jumping around- called my Ped just this morning, she said it still doesnt sound like thrush, maybe reflux cause of gagging? He has not gagged in the last 10 hours that I know of.She also said he could have sensed I was away, maybe a little hurt/ mad? That was the cause of fussiness last nigtht. It's never the case that I can't console him and so it was hard for me!! God love the little thing. Sorry this is long and a lot going on. Would love to hear others experiences with this and perspective. Thanks again! Great support here!

Default Re: Rough night- please advise!

hi mama,

evening fussies are totally normal around this age, and so it could have absolutely nothing to do with thrush, gagging, and you being away! try changing scenery, going on a walk, bouncing, whatever you can to distract him and see if that works (if nursing as first line of defense doesn't).

i don't know much about thrush but i do know that sometimes one partner doesn't have any symptoms. hopefully someone else well be able to advise you on here too.

gagging - during nursing? or when? how bad is it?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

thank u!

He was just gagging randomly through the day/3 x. Lasted a few seconds nothing came up. Now there are some times when he will sputter/ choke a little when he first nurses, it has calmed down as I have tried doing more laid back nursing. I think it is the let down a little much and then it is ok. Well, I just noticed him doing it again in his sleep! Its gonna be a long weekend... will take him to PED on Monday just to be safe. I have not suctioned his little nose or mouth for fear of hurting him, but I suspect there is some mucous, I hear him making grunting/ elephant sounds as well. whew- praying it is all normal and passes.
    As far as evening fussies, i guess it is normal at this age? Well, we had a good run so far And yes, mama, I am always trying to offer to nurse him first, learned that from WAB and these lovely supporters here. This journey is wild but wonderful!

On a different note, I successfully nursed him this morning both sides side-lying I am trying to find ways of more rest so I can be a happy mama and I appreciate your advise and experience.

super!! side-lying rocks.

re: gagging - is he showing other signs of having a cold? could it just be one of those weird bodily noises that all of us make sometime? honestly from what you've said i don't think it's worth a trip to the ped, but of course if it will ease your mind, do it.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

HMMM... I bet you are right. Just little squeaks, snorts, an the like lol first time mom jitters! I will keep u posted if anything changes. Thanks

I'm not sure if it helps you to know that my son had always made a wide variety of odd noises. At some point, maybe around 2-3 months, he started sticking his fingers in his mouth and causing himself to gag and throw up. He did eventually figure out to stop doing that. He's finally outgrowing his pretty much constant congestion, too. His current (6mo) noises include this pathetic little cough, and some clucks. For a while I was concerned about the cough, but I think he's just experimenting. He's eccentric. If the gagging continues to worry you and visiting the ped would reassure, then by all means, follow your gut, but in the meantime, try not to stress out too much.

sounds good and thank u i love that he has his own little presonality