Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just nursing on one side each time- ok?

Default Just nursing on one side each time- ok?

My 2nd LO is just 6 days old and has gotten off to a great start nursing. I think she´s getting enough milk (several poopy diapers a day, seems satisfied and sleeps well), but she only nurses on one breast for 20-30 min. each feeding. If I try to switch breasts or offer her the 2nd one, she won´t latch on, usually cause she´s in a deep sleep. This is so weird for me because my 1st LO was very colicky and always nursed on both sides for a total of an hour or more! So I just wanted to make sure this is ok- it ok if she only nurses 1 side each time and the next time I feed her on the other side?? I´m nursing on-demand, usually every 2-4 hours. Thanks!

Default Re: Just nursing on one side each time- ok?

Both of my children were only one side at a feeding nursers. Even now at 20 months my son rarely switches sides. As long as she is healthy and happy, nothing to worry about.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My son nursed on side at a time until he was about 7 months, and he was a super fat little baby.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

As long as baby has the right number of wets and poops and is gaining weight at a normal pace, one-sided feedings are fine. Just remember to keep offering the second breast and don't get concerned if your LO one day requires two breasts at a feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son never nursed on both breasts in one feeding.

I tried to force him by switching when he got into comfort sucking mode, because I was told that by (insert arbitrary age here) he should be nursing on both sides. The end result was always the same: he would suck down a bunch of foremilk on the second breast, spit up all over, then my oversupply would be out of control for a few days. After doing this a few times I decided to forget about what "they" say and only offer one side.

ETA: of course if baby is still hungry after nursing on one breast then offer the other side, but my son never wanted it.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

we started out on both and moved to one at a time around 3 months. then around 6 months we went back to both per feeding since she seemed hungry so i started offering again. right now anything goes!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My DD is like that too...it's fine! It also might change as PP said. Now that my supply has regulated she takes both sides more often.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135