Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! 2 week old!

Unhappy Help! 2 week old!

Hi ladies....I'm new to this website!

I need some help/advice on nursing my 2 week old little girl. I don't know why but I'm struggling a little and it is very fustrating. She ALWAYS wants to eat! I have read its normal BUT she will only latch on for 5 min sometimes 7 on a good and sometimes only 2-3 minutes. She wants to eat almost every hour. I'm assuming because shes not eating long and not filling up.

The doctor said to try and get her to eat at least 10-15 min on one side so she gets the hindmilk and now because she's not I'm freaking out. She usually wants to eat more after the 5 min but she never last long. She will pull off her self, I will try to burp her, you can tell she wants more, she will latch and after a little bit (not even a min) she will pull back and then pull off.

I started googling some stuff and came across the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Seems like she has all of the signs except the green poop (her poop is usually orangish-yellowish. She has become very gassy and spits up a lot (nothing crazy or that I'm worried about) The only thing about that is I dont spray milk when she pulls off. I drip like crazy but I don't spray. I do however see that I spray when I pump.

I tried the block feeding but didn't really see any difference. I have even tried giving her a bottle (only because she wants to eat and gets fustrated) she did great with it but didn't really see a difference. I tried the way I nurse her and doesn't really help.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Default Re: Help! 2 week old!

hi mama,

congratulations on your new baby!

it sounds like you are doing everything right, and your baby is just fine. eating for a few minutes every hour is annoying for you but perfectly healthy. and she will get better and better at this - she's still so new!

the LLL guidelines about switching sides is: finish the first breast first. notice how there's no time limit in there? because you should watch your baby, not the clock. a doc who tells you you should feed for x mins per side is a doc who hasn't really had that much experience with breastfeeding. so let her finish the first breast first; if she comes off after 5 mins maybe try to put her back on the same side, then go ahead and switch. if you have an abundant supply (sounds like you do - spraying, dripping, lots of spitup) then she can get a large amount of milk very quickly and that's okay.

in fact, the best thing for her if she's getting a lot fast is to eat very frequently. because there is no such thing as foremilk/hindmilk. it is all milk. when milk sits in your breasts for a long time, it separates (just like unhomogenized cow milk in your fridge), and the fat clings to the milk ducts. then you nurse and the first milk out is less fatty, until it mixes back up again and then the later milk is more fatty. but if you are nursing very frequently, then your milk doesn't have as much time to separate, and there is less difference between the early and later milk in terms of fat.

so: keep on nursing at earliest cue, every hour is GOOD if that's how often she wants it. remember breastmilk digests very very fast so she can fill up and still be hungry in an hour! that's how newborns eat. this phase will pass soon enough; for now just settle in with a book or tv and enjoy your time resting

how much are you pumping? why are you pumping?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you for responding! I sure hope it ends soon I just feel so bad for her because shes so gassy and always grunting. Then I have her eat and nothing changes. Poor baby! I was thinking about continuing how I'm doing it and just try grip water and see if that helps with the upset tummy. I don't really mind feeding every hour (yes it is time consuming and I feel like I'm overfeeding her (yes I know they say you can't overfeed a BF baby)) BUT then my husband made a comment about always feeding and you start to second guess yourself.

I started pumping because the LC or nurse (can't remember) said if she didn't have a good feeding to pump after. Now reading stuff I think thats what caused the problem In the hospital she would eat 10-20 min. When we got home that stopped. I thought it was because my milk came in and before then it just took longer to eat. Now I don't know how to fix it or if that would even help UGH!
    Last edited by @llli*angie0712; May 31st, 2012 at 08:56 PM.

You can have overactive letdown and not necessarily see a spray. If you hear a lot of gulping and possibly clicking, choking, or sputtering from your baby after you get a letdown then you are probably dealing with OALD. Or it could just be normal newborn fussiness. Try nursing in a reclined position to see if it helps. Gravity will help slow the flow of the milk. It worked wonders for me. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my stomach, and let him latch. It can take awhile to get it down, but it is great for OALD.

You can try nursing while walking around with her in a sling or carrier or in your arms to see if it will help her stay latched. A sling or carrier is also nice because you can nurse all day and still get a chance to get up, stretch your legs, poke your head outside for a little fresh air, etc.

You can bicycle her legs, give a tummy massage and a warm bath to help work out the gas. Mine was extremely gassy too and spit up like crazy (I had insane OALD, and those thing are common with that). They eventually grow out of it. Mine would even giggle sometimes when he would pass a little gas once he was older.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angie0712 View Post
    I started pumping because the LC or nurse (can't remember) said if she didn't have a good feeding to pump after.
    If she doesn't have a good feed, wait a bit then offer to nurse again. The pump can aggravate OALD and drive an oversupply, so I would put it away for now.

Try nursing reclined and working out the gas. Some babies (like mine) are just gassy, and it takes time and tears and lots of hugs and rocking and bouncing and bicyce legs and warm baths. It's hard, but you find ways to comfort and get through it.

I read that a nipple shield can help with milk flow do you recommend trying that or no???

I don't think a nipple shield is a good idea for OALD. It can negatively impact milk supply, it makes nursing much more complicated and difficult (especially in public), and it can be difficult to wean off of it. If things are really that bad then you should seek out an IBCLC to help you troubleshoot your issues.

Have you tried laid back nursing? It is much more effective for OALD than the shield. It can take a lot of adjusting and fine tuning the positioning, but it works very well once you get it down.

ETA: Also, some women find that removing the baby from the breast and letting the milk run into a towel then returning the baby to the breast helps with OALD. Others hand express a little milk before nursing. My baby did not have the patience for either of those things. I do think laid back nursing is a good place to start - it is natural and will not impact milk supply.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; May 31st, 2012 at 09:52 PM.