Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't give up now, but OUCH!

Default I can't give up now, but OUCH!

BF has been such a difficult journey. My son is 9 weeks old and after an unplanned c-section, bf didn't get off to the best start. When we finally were able to be together (only about an hour apart, but if felt longer) we did skin to skin. I don't remember much else from the first day or so, but I know we couldn't get him to latch. He was very sleepy and my nipples are very large. I pumped and in the end we ended up feeding him with an SNS system and nipple shields. He lost quite a bit of weight, but after two weeks of very intense feeding/pumping he started gaining. The hospital had a good lactation consultant and we worked together there and then I arranged for her to visit me at home. She has been very helpful and I was elated that at week 7 I was able to completely get rid of the nipple shield and also win our battle with Thrush. The battles have been endless, but I really want to BF. I had a few really good days where I felt so successful and then my nipples really started to hurt. I was away from home for a wedding and without much support. They started bleeding, cracking and were so so sensitive. I thought maybe it was because they had never been toughed up because of the shields, but I don't know. I also worried it was the latch. I watched videos, read up and have tried to refine it. I started to pump and have family members give my son a bottle to rest up and my nipples are doing better. I just had another visit with my lactation consultant yesterday and she gave me tips, but it still hurts to nurse my son. I will keep going because it has gotten so much better and I know that BF will be rewarding and worth it. But, I would like to know when? I am not writing this to complain, but I need more support and thought it mights help to tell my story. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Default Re: I can't give up now, but OUCH!

mama, congratulations on your new baby, and kudos to you for hanging in there through a very rough start! for most people, bf gets dramatically easier around 8, 9, 10 weeks. you are mostly over the hump!

your nipples are starting to heal now, right? and your baby has a good latch? it's just still hurting due to the problems they're still healing from?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Has anyone suggested any reasons for it to hurt? Like does baby have a tongue tie? Have you guys been treated for thrush? Have you tried laid back nursing where baby latches himself? How long does it hurt...just at the beginning,nor the whole time?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I would say in the next three weeks you should see vast improvements. He is probably just getting used to latching on to your actual breast Vs. the shield. I would be patient, use lanolin and spend as much time as possible during the day without your shirt on so that your nipples can "air out." Also look at getting some nipple shells. These are to worn under your bra to keep the fabric from rubbing against your tender, irritated nipples AND keep air circulating around them while you are dressed. Stay focused Mama! You were meant to do this. This too shall pass.

Way too lazy for formula

Cracking and bleeding after a period of trouble-free nursing makes me think the thrush is back.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Really? Even though it happened right after she weaned off the shield?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Really? Even though it happened right after she weaned off the shield?
    Yeah, even though. Because she had a few good days in between shield and cracks- if there had been no trouble-free window I'd say it was the absence of the shield, and therefore a latch issue. But since there were a few good days in there... Of course, it matters a lot how good the good days were! No pain, no misshapen nips? That's good, and advanced the thrush hypothesis. But if she was just gritting her teeth to get through those days, then the latch is likely a better candidate.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for all the advice. Yesterday things went smoother and I just had a pain free feeding! Yahoo! It seems as I was on the brink of feeling frustrated, the tides were just about to turn. I am not out of the woods yet, but I do feel confident I am close. I believe the trush is gone, my son was on Nystatin for two weeks and I did a full course of Diflucan. His mouth is clear and my nipples seem yeast free. I think that the first few pain free days I was so ecstatic he was actually latching that I didn't realize the latch wasn't great. I have been topless as much as possible and using the all purpose nipple cream. The cracks are healing, but I believe they are the reason my nipples are still sore. I did buy and use nipple shells and they were helpful when my nipples were at their worst. I try not to use them though because they make me leak a lot.

As far as I can tell my two biggest issues now are: inconsistent latch which is sometimes too shallow and also some tongue trust. My evidence for the first is that when I am finished my nipples are sometimes flattened. I am working on latching him when he has a wide open mouth, but am not always successful. Also, sometimes it takes so many attempts I just let him stay on even when it is not perfect. I am trying not to do this anymore. I also sometimes have a large white spot on my nipple afterwards that goes away but is painful. I believe this is from a bad latch. The second issue (tongue trusting) I believe is happening because my let down is so fast and he is trying to slow it down. I don't have any ideas for helping with this. I sometimes deal with it and other times unlatch him.

I thank you all for your thoughts and am so glad bf is improving and I am not squirming in pain while bf.

for tongue thrust/OALD, have you tried letting the first flow go into a towel?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I can try that thanks. And yep, it is thrust not trust. LOL!