Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So Frustrated (again)

Default So Frustrated (again)

Overall when I look back at my breastfeeding journey and all of the issues I had (poor latch, thrush, etc) things are going well now, but what started as a minor annoyance is turning into more of a problem. I briefly mentioned before that my baby loses suction on one side and can't seem to keep the nipple back where it needs to be. When she pulls it back it doesn't always hurt, but sometimes it's quite painful. It's really starting to get to me now. I can't figure out why this is happening. The nipple is smaller on this side and more flat, so I think it takes more of an effort for her to pull it back, but at one time she was able to do this and not break suction so much. This side also has a faster flow than the other, which could be a part of it yet it's happening before and after let down. For whatever reason, her morning feeding is typically better... it still happens, but it's not nearly as bad as later in the day. I've tried all positions, I support the breast so there's no chance of her losing the nipple from the breast moving away from her. She does tend to be fidgety with a lot of her feedings, which doesn't help matters. None of this happens on the other side, while still fidgety she feeds well.

I just kept thinking it would get better, but it seems like we're at a stand still here. I'm hoping one day it will stop just as quickly as it started, but I don't foresee that happening anytime soon. I just needed to vent again. We had a bad feeding earlier today where she lost the nipple then bit down on it by accident (thankfully she doesn't have teeth yet) when she tried to pull it back. I literally screamed in pain it was so bad. That doesn't always happen with this issue, but it has happened about 3 or 4 times now. What makes it worse is I have a bruise on this side from having the pump suction turned up too high a couple months back. The bruise still hasn't healed and it's extremely painful when she pushes on it. I'm just so upset by this. It won't be long and she will have teeth, then I'll really have problems.

Default Re: So Frustrated (again)

Have you tried nursing while reclined? It can help with both latch problems and fast flow.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I have tried that, it still happens then too.

I am going through the same thing with my LO (the losing suction/getting the nipple pretty hard) - I can not figure out WHY or HOW she does this. I met with an LC again today, and she couldn't see anything either...she recommended craniosacral therapy to help align her jaw and release any tension in her mouth...I'm not quite sure I'm ready to go there yet though.

How old is she??

I struggled with my first one for 12 weeks before we finally hit smoother waters...and I can promise you - it's SO worth it. It's honestly the only thing keeping me going this time - is knowing how amazing it CAN and WILL be.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Have you tried nursing while walking her around in a sling or in your arms? That helped me some with the fidgeting.

I agree with PP, sometimes it just takes time. It really does get better and it is amazing once it does!

She just turned 3 months old. Her latch has been slowly improving for a while now. It used to be unbearable to let her nurse. When her latch was much better I was still having a lot of pain and found out that I had thrush. After treating that combined with her improved latch things were going well for a bit, then this started. I'm incredibly happy that it's going this well, I just really wish I could figure out this breaking suction thing. If I knew what the problem was I could work on fixing it, but not knowing is driving me crazy! Her first feeding of the day went well today, for whatever reason the morning feeding is always smooth. Maybe it's because she's still half asleep. The middle of the night ones used to be smooth too, but now she's STTN. Yay! My husband thinks that part of the problem may be when she's wide awake and hungry she gets so eager to nurse that she gets all uncoordinated. Seems like it could be possible, but then I would think it would happen on the other side too. I have a hard time nursing her while walking because I can't support my breasts as well. If I don't support them with my hand or a wash cloth to keep them at the right level for her then her latch is too shallow or she loses the nipple completely. I have been able to successfully walk around with her a few times while nursing, but it's something we still need to work on.
    I know that it will get better because I can look back and see how far we've come, but these set backs just really upset me. I'm so looking forward to when things are uncomplicated!
    jennygal - Please update and let me know if you find some sort of magical position that makes this all better! I'll let you know if I figure something out too. Hopefully our babies just grow out of it soon. I've heard about the craniosacral therapy too, but I'm not ready to go there either. When I mentioned it to one of the lactation consultants I've been working with she gave me a funny look and said she never heard of it. I was hoping to get her opinion on it, but didn't get anywhere with that!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kln2 View Post
    I have a hard time nursing her while walking because I can't support my breasts as well. If I don't support them with my hand or a wash cloth to keep them at the right level for her then her latch is too shallow or she loses the nipple completely. I have been able to successfully walk around with her a few times while nursing, but it's something we still need to work on.
    If nursing while walking has been helpful with the problems you are having, then it may be worth it to invest in a sling or a wrap if you don't already have one. That will free up your hand to support your breast while you walk. It's also great for getting out of the house for a walk, a little shopping, a bite to eat, etc. with your baby.