Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major doubts on overfeeding

Default Re: Major doubts on overfeeding

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sb View Post
    He can't be on for hours at a time on one breast. I am literally housebound.
    Do you have a sling, wrap, or other type of carrier? I'm always on the go and have never had a problem nursing in my sling or Ergo. With a little practice it is as discreet as it gets. I have carried on full conversations with strangers on the street while nursing my baby in the sling/Ergo and they had no idea he was nursing. It also frees up your hands so that you can do whatever you want to do.

Stop worrying about over-eating. Your pediatrician is right. His weight will level off eventually.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Stop worrying, and continue to feed on demand. It's normal for EBF babies to gain weight really, really fast in the first 6 months or so. A pound per week is not unusual in the early weeks. But after a few months, usually sometime around the middle of the first year, weight gain tends to slow way down as baby becomes more mobile and starts putting his calories into action instead of packing them on as fat. Both my girls were born small, shot up to the very top of the charts for weight, and then dropped back down the percentiles at around 4-8 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Any tips on how to nurse in an Ergo? He is much higher than my boob and when I've done it, I have to really lower him and lift my boob into his mouth.

I never could nurse in an Ergo. My tall babies combined with my anatomy precluded such. Lowering baby to my breast put baby's weight at a place where he hurt my back. I found a Maya wrap easier myself.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

and i could only nurse in a ring sling, and still always had to hold my breast with one hand. better than nothing, though! i could go on walks.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I have small breasts (even if I held my breast in my hand, it wouldn't change the height of the nipple), so I don't need to drop my baby so low in the Ergo. I still nurse in it at 18 months, but it is becoming more difficult as he's getting taller. I think it is much more difficult if you have larger breasts.

Either a wrap or a sling would probably be better because it is easier to adjust your baby's position. I have a Moby, and the only thing I like about it is that it is very adjustable. I've heard that woven wraps are much better than the stretchy ones. I loved my ring sling too when mine was little.

It's worth the investment in something that will work. Getting out of the house is all around good for you.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Hey there... I wanted to tell you that my LO had silent reflux too, and nursed constantly for the first 2-3 months. He would nurse so much that he would end up spitting it all up - it was unreal the amount he would throw up. (he did that 2 times). I also felt I could not leave the house because it wasn't like he gave hunger cues, he cried to nurse because he was in pain. IT DOES GET BETTER!!!! Tummy time helped, once he started sitting up it dramatically improved. We did the nursing in elevated positions, no laying down until at least 30 min after he ate, sleeping elevated. I soooo wish I had used a sling because I have heard so many times after the fact that it is a huge help for reflux babies. We spend many many many evenings carrying LO around in odd positions that were comfortable for hm to help releive his pain.

My LO was also a big boy... he gained quickly and very well. My doctor was never concerned either.... he started leveling out around 9-10 months. I can tell you that nursing my reflux baby was a life-saver for him and I both. It was difficult at times but he needed it. We did use a pacifier for a little while - but he wanted no parts of it by 6 months. And even then, he would rarely take it.

Hold the course momma... your doing well. This too shall pass and you will just look back at it as an experience you and your LO made it through together.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

While you may feel housebound now, it is temporary!! It will get better. Your baby my nurse more often because it makes him feel better when he does. Denying him nursing could cause him discomfort with his reflux. Be thankful that you have a convenient, effective way to comfort your baby!

It will get better, you will get out more and there will be a day where you'll look back on these days and smile.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I might have a little additional personal perspective to help put your mind at ease - we had the opposite problem with weight (LO had SLOW weight gain and by the time he was 10 days old a hospital-based LC was trying to push formula supplementation - yes, I stopped going to her!) but he exhibited some of the same habits of taking a long time at feeds - sometimes probably nursing for comfort instead of getting milk out which I think caused supply issues for me. We had our challenges, but he is growing steadily now at 8.5 mo and the extra-long, all-day feeds stopped so many months ago I don't remember when it was.

So I just wanted to say that a) yes, to echo a PP it does get better and much easier and you will get outside again, so hang in there! and b) this is just an observation, but I get the feeling that *some* medical professionals have Goldilocks Syndrome (they always have issues with babies being "too big" or "too small") and will stress you out if your baby isn't perfectly average in weight gain. What they don't seem to think about is that "average" on a chart doesn't really equate to "normal" - and the "average" is just a midpoint between data from many, many babies from all over the weight spectrum. If your baby is getting a clean bill of health otherwise and seems happy overall, I agree you should trust your instincts! And continue to be your loving-mama-self!

Cool Re: Major doubts on overfeeding

Wow thanks for all of the encouraging words and wisdom. I only wish I had this forum in the early and painful weeks of BF. BF is one of the most difficult things I have ever done. He was tongue tied, still doesn't have a great deep latch no matter what I do, and yet here we are at almost 11 weeks and he's 101 percentile in weight. I am trying to let go of perfection: maybe he will never have a non clicky latch but I can deal with it and am hoping that as he gets even bigger he will naturally open wider.

Again thank you for sharing your experiences. Today has been a much better day. I have resolved to ignore advice that runs counter to everything I have read and been told.

I do think that when he slows down his sucking, I shouldn't feel guilty about pulling him off if time doesn't permit. Like in the dead of night when we both need to get back to bed. What do you think?

I am worried that he can only fall asleep after feeding and being held. Is this something he will grow out of? There will be a time when that won't be possible all the time. I love feeding and holding him it would love to hear your wise experiences.