Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major doubts on overfeeding

Default Major doubts on overfeeding

I went to a breastfeeding support group today and the LC thinks that I am overfeeding my son. I know you can't overfeed a BF child but the LC says that while that is true, he should not be on the breast for as long as he is for babies his age and that due to his reflux and size, he may be overfed. He has wanted to be on for 40 min- hour. And he isn't actively sucking the entire time but I let him stay on because I thought you trusted the baby to tell you when he is done. He usually never pulls away on his own though. The LC thinks that he should be on for 20 minutes total (30 if I am comfortable).

I am very worried that my son is too big and that I should be timing his feeds like the LC suggests. He must be about 18 pounds now at nearly 11 weeks. I don't want to time his feeds but perhaps that he may be overeating, possibly due to the reflux. I have so much milk that if he takes both sides or even just one side, I am positive that he gets more than 4 ounces per feeding. I also offer him the breast when he is upset. The LC thinks I should really use a pacifier to help satisfy his need to suck even during his feeds But I am afraid that I will be ignoring his hunger cues which will send signals to my body to stop producing as much as he needs.

Again sorry for rambling on. I suppose it's been a tough week and I am so insecure that I am doing things poorly for Sebastian. He has been taking so long and everyone is telling me that he is way too big.

Default Re: Major doubts on overfeeding

I have never heard anything like what your LC is suggesting. My baby was gaining a pound a week for awhile, and while our pediatrician was always surprised by his weight gain, he always simply said "Well, you can't overfeed a breastfed baby. Just keep doing what you are doing. His weight will level off eventually."

Maybe someone else here knows better, but I'd say it is time to stop seeing that particular LC.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

No! He is not feeding too much. Just follow his cues!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My second DS was very similar. He had reflux, but insisted on comfort nursing (I also had OS). Absolutely refused a pacifier, so nursing it was! I always had extra burp rags handy (Gerber prefolds work well), and changed his clothes probably 2-3 a day on average. He gained weight very rapidly; he was such a chubby baby, he had humps on the tops of his feet. It was tiring for me to be nursing so much, and I lost a lot more weight than was really healthy (I managed to gain it back later); but, it was what it took to keep him happy and I wouldn't go back and do things differently.

At 2.5 years, he's a perfectly healthy weight; in fact, when he started walking/running, he actually went through a period where he lost a little weight. He also nursed 6-8 times a day until I weaned him at 22 months.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I'm with the PPs. You're not overfeeding, and his weight gain will eventually level off. If you are finding that you are uncomfortable, or the feeds are leaving you in pain then that is a different issue. But you are NOT doing wrong by your son.

You mentioned the feeding and his reflux a couple of times. There are ways to help with his reflux without limiting his time at the breast. Are you concerned that the reflux is caused by his feeding or that his eating habits are driven by his reflux?

What does your baby's doctor say? Is he hitting all of his developmental milestones? Holding his head up, startling at sounds, following with his eyes, smiling? Is his growth balanced? i.e. is he also tall? head growth?

If he has reflux and he's gaining weight, you're obviously doing a good job. I would wait to see what your doctor has to say at his 3 month check up. There's more to a baby's health than just weight. People who offer such advice based only on ONE criteria rather than looking at the entire picture usually get dismissed in my book. I would probably just reply "Our doctor feels that he's healthy." and leave it at that. You're doing a great job Momma!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Well - even if the doctor says you are overfeeding him at the 3 month check up, I would NOT listen to that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Well - even if the doctor says you are overfeeding him at the 3 month check up, I would NOT listen to that.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks everyone. He has silent reflux and it is noticeably better. He definitely slows down the sucking and starts nibbling. Sometimes he will go back to active sucking. Because I nurse usually one side at a time, he can stay on that side for a very long time (40-60 min).

My pediatrician isn't concerned. She says that it will level out but I an worries he is eating too much. When he slows down his sucking I sometimes pull him off an he gets very upset. I don't want to rely on a pacifier. Ironically the LC support group was at my pediatrician's office.

He can't be on for hours at a time on one breast. I am literally housebound.

I should also do more tummy time but he is able to hold his head and has been smiling more. At his two month check up his height was in the 90 percentile and head circumference was at 70. So he isn't just fat.

I am keeping him uptight and wearing him a lot to manage his reflux. He also sleeps elevated.