Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby doesn't seem to be getting enough milk - advice, please

Default Re: Baby doesn't seem to be getting enough milk - advice, pl

Hang in there, mama! Glad to hear the lecithin is helping out with the plugs!

Everyone's experience is different, but I remember feeling like it was still often difficult even at the 8-week mark. I don't know if my LO's mouth was small, but I really had to keep him practicing a good latch (if you find that it isn't tongue-tie that is the issue). Sometime after that it definitely got easier. For months now (he's almost 9 mo) he has been able to latch himself on even in the dark with no problems, and it doesn't hurt me. So it can definitely get better. But in the meantime I know it is very trying and, again, I applaud your efforts!

You mentioned needing a bit more (pro-breastfeeding) support from your husband - if you have The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, you may want to show him some of the info in the tear-sheet toolkit from the back of the book (one of them summarizes breastfeeding benefits that are described at more length in the book and can help someone better understand who hasn't been reading up on it ...). In particular you can show him p. 471 ("Breastfeeding: It's Just Good Sense") and separately there's a tear-sheet on how partners can help on p. 467 ("What About Partners?"). For my DH, once I really shared a lot of the info of the benefits with him he was on board with my efforts, and understood why I was trying so hard to make it work.

Default Re: Baby doesn't seem to be getting enough milk - advice, pl

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hlc12 View Post
    And I just weighed her today -- about 4 ounces gained in the past week. I guess that means that milk supply isn't awful, right?
    I forgot to mention - when I was seeing an IBCLC she told me that for breastfed babies they like to see weight gain between 4-7 oz/week around at that age. Double-check this with your LC/ped, but if your LO gained 4 oz this week that seems like a good sign??