Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blisters on Nipple

Default Blisters on Nipple

Hi ladies,
    Has anyone else been unfortunate enough to have had these clear blisters form on their nipple from breastfeeding? I have them on my left nipple and they are painful. Any suggestions as to how to heal these bad boys? I have been doing a moist hot compress and also applying Lanolin cream. What is better, having my lo feed on the breast or using the pump for just a little while?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

Default Re: Blisters on Nipple

Poke it with a sterilized needle. Actually, it's a little more like digging around in it a bit for me. Then I squeeze it to get it to clear. Hurts like heck, but relief follows pretty quickly after that.

Nursing is pretty much always better than pumping. Friction from pumping too long is what has lead to the blebs every time I've gotten one. A little olive oil in the horns helps if you have no choice but to pump.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Default Re: Blisters on Nipple

Almost always better to nurse than to pump. Pumping typically doesn't remove milk as well as nursing does, and you don't want to end up with a plugged duct or something in addition to the blisters.

Are the blisters a new thing? Often they crop up when babies start to teeth and start changing their latch in order to soothe their sore gums.