Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rental Grade Pumps: Which one?

Default Rental Grade Pumps: Which one?

I had two different medela manual breast pumps that did nothing for me. After a month of trying to get even an ounce out with those I gave up and bought a miPump by The First Years. At first it was great, I pumped five ounces easily but now it can barely get a half ounce out and hand expressing has become more effective.

Now I'm considering trying a rental grade pump (I assume they would be superior to a lot of the pumps I can buy at a store) and I'm looking around to see which model/brand worked best for other mothers out there.

TL;DR: Have you ever tried a rental grade pump? If so, which one worked best for you and do you have any comments about it?

Default Re: Rental Grade Pumps: Which one?

I used a Medela Lactina for a short time, and it worked well. My SIL used a Medela Symphony without any problems.

I don't know that brand really matters that much for hospital grade pumps. It may be more a matter of what pump your local pharmacy has to rent.

If you are not EPing, then a professional grade double electric pump may be sufficient for your needs, though. Medela, Ameda, Lansinoh, and Avent all make some decent double electric pumps.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

At this point I just really want to be able to build up a freezer stash and I've pretty much wasted $100 on the pump I have now. I just don't want to waste any more money on a pump that may not work for me this time around. I'll look around to see who's renting out.

If you need to rent the pump for any extended period of time (like if you will be working for a chunk of the first year) it gets really expensive, and you will probably save money buying a professional grade pump. However if you only need it for a short time, then the rental might be the way to go. You don't really need all that much expressed milk if you won't be working. But keep in mind it is only good for 3-4 months in a standard freezer.

I think making some calls to find out what rental pumps are available and what they cost is a good starting point.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I'm going to be at home with DS for a while so I just want to get up a stash big enough so he can go over to MIL's house for more than an hour without me and so DH can watch him while I take a nap.
    Thank you for your input!

I would definitely buy a professional grade if you plan to pump on a somewhat regular basis. My Medela PISA has served me well, and most women who use it have great results. Until I went back to work, I was using it for the same reasons as you- to build a small freezer stash, and to have a bottle here and there for whenever I needed to go somewhere without DS. It's definitely worth the money, and will last for a long time with moderate use.
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

The miPumps start out nice, but they wear out FAST.

For what you describe, a hand pump works well. You aren't providing milk daily, just once in a while.

How old is baby?

I've tried just about every hospital grade pump, and I prefer the Limerick myself, followed by the Symphony.

Besides the rental, you will need the setup kit, which is $44-65 plus the correct size of horns for Medela and Ameda (Limerick is one size fits all). So you will be in for $100 or thereabouts for the first month of rental.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My son is just now 2 months old. I tried two different medela hand pumps and even on the highest setting it barely tugged I wasn't able to get even a few drops out much less an ounce or two.
    I'm considering going ahead and renting a medela symphony for a month (and yeah it's gonna be about $110 but what other option do I have?) to hopefully be able to get up a freezer stash to last me a few months. I think all I'd need is about 50-70 or so ounces for it to be good to go but I'm hoping to get more if possible.
    I'm just afraid to spend more money on a pump that may not work for me since you can't take them back.

My son is just now 2 months old. I tried two different medela hand pumps and even on the highest setting it barely tugged I wasn't able to get even a few drops out much less an ounce or two.
    I'm considering going ahead and renting a medela symphony for a month (and yeah it's gonna be about $110 but what other option do I have?) to hopefully be able to get up a freezer stash to last me a few months. I think all I'd need is about 50-70 or so ounces for it to be good to go but I'm hoping to get more if possible.
    I'm just afraid to spend more money on a pump that may not work for me since you can't take them back.

hand pumps don't have settings. Can you link to the ones you tried? Are you sure it was set up properly?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!