Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems, Pumping and is baby getting enough?

Default Problems, Pumping and is baby getting enough?

I have some concerns over whether my four weeker is getting enough- I am getting lots of wet nappies however two nights running I have noticed sunken anterior fontanelle which generally indicates dehydration. He has had good alert periods over the past 48 hours. If i didnt know that sunken fontanelles could indicate this I wouldn't be worried. He has been weighed today and has gained just over 9 ounces this past week and remains on his centile.
    I may be worried due to the problems I am having. Basically I can only feed from one side my left- my right side is extremely painful, keeps becoming cracked and bleeds so I pump and give him 3-5 oz every 5-6 hours but approx every two he is also feeding off leftie.
    I have had my latch checked and have tried exaggerated latch and numerous other suggestions from the lact consultant. She has seen my son at breast and also assessed him- she did agree that his suck is more aggressive on one side than other and has suggested cranial osteopathy- which I am trying to get to. Basically when he sucks one side of his top lips crease in. She assessed him for tongue ties etc nothing. This is my second BF baby so not a complete novice however I am aware that I have a few issues that may make my problems worse. One I have duct ectasia Two i have raynauds of the breast which developed after my last BF baby where I had numerous bouts of mastitis and eventually ended with a bad bout of thrush.

Need some advice on how much EBM I should be giving and hour often.
    How often I should be pumping and for roughly how long for I try and wait till after I have had a second let down and dry spell before I cease- currently expressing every two hours usually yielding 2oz

Default Re: Problems, Pumping and is baby getting enough?

Are you feeding from the left? And pumping the right? Or are you trying to exclusively pump? Is that 2 oz just from the right?

What happens if you flip that upper lip back out when he tucks it in?

Keep working on the latch, but in the meantime, pump with a hospital grade pump every 2 hour around the clock for a total of 120 minutes in 24 hours. Nurse as much as possible so you don't get sucked into EPing as pumping long term is much, much harder than BFing becomes.

Every baby is different as far as amounts, but a good round number is 1 to 1.5 oz of BM per hour. I fed on demand for amount and frequency.

You may or may not get a second letdown. I rarely do when pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Feeding purely from left expressing from right so yes just 2oz purely from right- tried several times to flip top lip back when feeding on right and he loses latch. Using a Medela Swing- I will be enquiring about loan pumps but here is a long holiday on account of Queens Jubilee. I am desperate to get back to pure BF the whole purpose (aside from health benefits) is that BF when established is a lot less hassle than bottles pumping sterilising heating up cool bags etc

2oz from the one side is totally normal

You can feed with just one side. I had to have 2 lumpectomies on my right breast in my 20s. I had no idea that the surgeons had done as much damage as they did because I successfully breastfed three kids. When I had to start pumping for the fourth was when I learned that. And I was pumping 50 extra oz a day, mostly from the left My right made 8 oz in 24 hours, tops.

It might look funny, but if it doesn't shake loose, you might be able to get away with nursing on just the one side
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!