Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: craniosacral therapy??

Default craniosacral therapy??

Umm...so, I just called the IBCLC from the hospital - and she seemed surprised to hear from me, despite her numerous voicemails to check in. Anyway, I wasn't pleased with my first visit with her - when she recommended a shield for my nipple pain, instead of assessing my LO's latch. But I'm desperate for help, so I called her back.

I told her that my LO is transferring milk excellently, except it's causing me a lot of pain. Regardless of how I latch her, she always ends up in a shallow latch - and she is slurping/clicking and pinching my nipple.

Her solution? Come by and she'll "try" to help, but she'll also tell me about craniosacral therapy for my LO..she said it sounds like she is doing something inside her mouth that we can't see - and she may benefit from it. She didn't even bring up possible tongue tie or lip problems (not that I want it to be that...) or just a simple latch issue.

So frustrated - I don't have any other form of support here and the next LLL meeting isn't for 2 weeks.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Default Re: craniosacral therapy??

can you look for another IBCLC? call your leader?

sounds like that hospital IBCLC isn't the best match for you.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Clicking often goes along with OALD and is only a problem when associated with a latch issue... Wish I'd know that with dd1. Would have spared me some anxiety. The local LC didn't know about that so I don't know if it's not common knowledge or the LC just wasn't that knowledgable (thankfully the ladies on here were!).

Both dd1 & dd2 have struggled a bit with it to maintain a latch, I think because the milk makes it all slippery. Maybe that's why the biting, both trying to hold on and maybe control the flow. With the OALD, I've found keeping dd2 as close as possible to level with my breast helps slow the flow somewhat. I also keep a cup nearby to let some of it run off into when the breast is fuller (typically a night or morning feed). The latter is a bit frustrating to dd2 in the moment but I think she nurses easier afterward.
    Last edited by @llli*barnheartbabe; May 31st, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*barnheartbabe View Post
    Clicking often goes along with OALD and is only a problem when associated with a latch issue.

The local LC didn't know about that so I don't know if it's not common knowledge or the LC just wasn't that knowledgable (thankfully the ladies on here were!).
    Was she actually an IBCLC?

I also agree with seeking a second opinion, mama. While it's true that craniosacral therapy can be beneficial, I'm not sure why she would just bring that up over the phone without doing a feeding assessment in person.. As you mentioned, a latch check would be #1, as well as checking her for tongue tie or lip tie.

Do you notice that she stays latched better in different positions, i.e. laid back breastfeeding?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ohiomama View Post
    Do you notice that she stays latched better in different positions, i.e. laid back breastfeeding?
    Nursing in a reclined position saved me. My baby was biting down in attempt to deal with the OALD, and I was in excruciating pain until I started nursing reclined. I leaned back on a few pillows, put my baby on my chest, and let him latch. It's worth a try anyway, unil you can see someone about the latch problems.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks everyone

So - I have tried several different positions, and I did get some relief with the laid-back nursing....although it's so tricky for us that often we end up frustrated this way...With her belly on mine, she has to lift her neck so high to reach my breasts..and to top it off, my nipples are not front & center, they lean off to the sides...so we're still trying to figure out the laid-back nursing. Often, if I get a good latch, then I'll recline as much as possible to end up laid-back..

The LC today was better than the first time we met...she actually did end up checking for tongue tie and the roof of her mouth...she did recommend the nipple shield because my nipples are so badly broken down. I'm not sure how I feel about it...I avoided the shield like the plague with my first, but my nipples really are bad and when I tried it, it felt a million times better - I didn't curl my toes and shout out cuss words when she latched.

Anyway...thanks for the suggestions - I'm gonna keep on trucking and hopefully we'll have it figured out soon!
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

a random thought on laid back - i didn't know about it when DS was little, but now he nurses a lot lying perpendicular to me across my stomach. i often put a pillow under my elblow to support his head because it's off my body. something to try?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Laid back nursing took a little while for us to get down too. It took a lot of tweaking our positioning, but it worked wonders once we figured out something that worked.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).