Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 day old

Default 1 day old

My son was born approx 30 hours ago. He was 39 weeks at delivery. He has had 2 mecs at 3 hrs and 9 hrs old and nothing since. He did not have any interest in latching or sucking for at least 6 hours despite my efforts to get him to the breast. He is improving at every feed and his latch is good. My concern is that he doesn't seem to be swallowing/transfering any colostrum from the breast. At 24 hrs he has lost 8 oz ( i did not receive and fluids during l&d) We do not have any llc here in my area but am planning to talk to the public health nurse this morning.

Default Re: 1 day old

Congrats on your new sweet baby mama!! Lots of skin to skin is what worked for me during those first couple of days/weeks postpartum. No swaddling. If baby is sleepy/falling asleep at the breast, I would tickle toes, use cool washcloth, wiggle an ear, etc. and sometimes that would help with rousing baby just enough to continue to suckle. Good luck mama!!

and remember that weight loss immediately after birth is completely normal - weight is usually lowest around day 2 or 3, before your milk really comes in. and remember that the amount of colustrum is TINY! your baby's stomach is the size of a cherry, so he doesn't need much!

good luck and congratulations!!! keep us posted.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It's very hard to "see" colustrum. It comes in tiny amounts so it is not something a baby will gulp or even swallow very obviously. Keep nursing very very frequently, that will bring in the "mature" milk at the appropriate time. Measuring weight gain/loss is VERY tricky in the first few days, because baby is often weighed on at least two different scales and also you may have missed lowest weight, and think baby is still losing when baby is actually gaining. So keep looking at poops as well as weight.

Very general rule of thumb for poops is to expect one per (24 hour) day of life (so, 1 on day one, 2 on day two) until day 3 or 4, and then 3-4 poops the size of a US quarter or so is the minimum you hope to see once milk becomes more abundant usually at day 3 or 4. So two poops at 30 hours is just fine. Also look at poop color and consistency, if you see the poops transitioning from the tar black sticky merconium to the very wet loose yellow typical breastmilk poop, that is good. Remember this will transition, so you may see poops that are green, brown, some combo, and gradually getting looser.

Thank you for your responses. Every feed seems to be improving. I will continue to monitor his output and nurse frequently