Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I really feel like giving up!

Default I really feel like giving up!

Before I had my daughter on 4/4/12 I strongly weighed all my concerns when it came to breastfeeding because I have a 2 year old and I felt that I simply would not have time to sit and breast feed for what I thought would be around 20 to 30 minutes every 2 hours or more and still be able to give him attention. I thought on how much formula would cost and how I would be giving my daughter the "breast" start by breast feeding, I thought about pumping since but thought on how time consuming that would be. I reflected upon my previous struggles with my first and how I had given up after only 3 weeks due to a diminishing supply and being sore.

I am proud to say that my daughter is about to be 2 months now and I've breast fed almost exclusively but I've been having nothing but problems. I managed to get over the sore nipples they don't hurt anymore sometimes they will get a little raw but for the most part I'd like to think I desensitized them, I'm still not sure if I have her latched correctly I never had time to see a lactation consultant.

HOWEVER!!!

I have a strong addiction to soda, and I love things that have dairy in them... these are things I am having the absolute hardest time breaking my self of, soda especially. I have tried over the past 2 weeks to quit drinking soda and every time I do for a day or so only to fall off the wagon again and suffer for it later... I didn't drink soda for a good solid 2 days and ate macaroni and cheese and realised that that too messes with her...now here is what happens...

During the day my baby is perfectly fine she sleeps like a doll has no gas issues ...but at night completely different baby if I drink soda or have dairy...she will scream the entire night...writhe with obvious gas complaints and nothing I give her gas medicine wise works...not even collic calm... I don't know what to do I feel like I can't stop these bad habits ...cold turkey but I want to breast feed still but it's so hard... any advice or alternatives so I don't feel like I'm also starving my self as well as losing something I like to drink ? She will also throw up a lot or spit up ...and just be a completely different baby ...I don't know what to do...

Default Re: I really feel like giving up!

Part of it is the age. That is a hard age. If she is crabby at night, it could be that she simply has colic, a catch all term for the baby is crying and there is no determined cause. Babies are often overwhelmed easily in the first few months, and they cry to let off stress and to block the world out. It often happnes at night, becasue everything has built up during the day for baby, and they cry and fuss and dont sleep well. There are ways to deal with that crying.

As far as the rest of it...I love dairy, but all of mine have been sensitive to it. And I cut it, not just for them, but for me. Because I didn't want to hear them crying. It was self preservation on my part!

Soda is really bad for YOU. That in and of itself is a good reason to quit to me it has nothing to do with breastfeeding. If you can't quit cold turkey -- and hinestly, that is a horrible way to quit anything -- try cutting back. Perhaps there is a way you can compromise between what you like and what works for her.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

hi mama, what about finding a soda substite? i'm assuming it's the caffeine that your baby reacts to? mine does - even a cup of black tea in the morning had him up for hours that night. i really like flavored seltzer waters, whcih are MUCH healthier for you and super refreshing when it's hot out. for me the key would be having these accessible and having the sodas not be accessible.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I was not a soda addict, but a big booze drinker before I got pregnant. I relied on Izzes, which are soda-like fruit juice drinks (no refined sugars -- which aren't helping you or baby), throughout my pregnancy and now when I'm nursing as a substitute for having a beer or glass of wine in my hand at dinner or when socializing. As for dairy, there are SOOOO many things you can substitute. Get a good vegan cookbook or look up some cheese substitutes (Daiya is a popular one now). It's hard when you're nursing, because you're so hungry and look to comfort foods. My baby wasn't bothered by dairy, but I'm not a big dairy eater in general; however, I craved cheese all the time. I tried to limit eating it to those times when I was out to dinner and couldn't substitute. I think if you substitute for most of your milk and ice cream type foods (higher lactose), some occasional cheese might not bother the baby.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

The izzy's is a great suggestion on the soda substitute! Soda is HORRIBLE for BOTH of you. You should stop drinking it. Not only because it's clear you see it makes your infant uncomfortable but because it's awful for everyone nutritionally and has been linked to everything from heart disease to cancer. You have an older child too right? It's your responsibility to set a good example for BOTH of your children in terms of healthy eating. If they see you drinking soda, they will think it's OK to drink soda. And it's really NOT. Especially not DAILY. Besides Izzy's there are also all kinds of Sparkling juices you can drink. Like Martinelli's Apple cider and And Trader Joes, they have apple, cranberry, and Blueberry. Make the switch! For everyone in your family!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that soda and dairy are the culprits of nighttime fussiness. Fussiness, particularly evening fussiness, is common and peaks at about 2 months of age. Pop your baby in a sling, and nurse through it while you tend to other things.

However, my DD was dairy sensitive in early months. I was able to reduce dairy intake to only hidden dairy with good results. with everyone that you should drop soda for YOUR health.
    I think it's very typical for new moms to think that they, their milk, and the things they eat are to blame every time the baby acts fussy or crazy or gassy or has a weird poop or whatever. But more often it's just the baby being a baby. Especially with nighttime fussiness- that's just classic with 2 month olds. Both my girls would scream for hours, and it wasn't anything I was doing/not doing/eating/not eating. It was just developmental.

I'm not saying that your diet isn't a possible cause for the issues you're having- just that it's really important as a new mom to let go of the self-blame tendencies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She said it was better on the nights she didn't drink it.

Way too lazy for formula

Izzes are awesome! Try them.

My son had very bad gas, but it didn't correlate with anything I was eating - he was just gassy. It was always the worst in the evenings. Treating the gas throughout the day helps some. I bicycled his legs and gave him tummy massages. A warm bath in the evening helped too.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).