Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help?

Question Help?

Hello. My question is: I'm breastfeeding/pumping for my 1 month old daughter, but my right nipple has 1 crack that keeps bleeding when i pump or feed her. Is it safe for her to drink what I pump if there is some blood in it? I wanna make sure it wont hurt her. Please let me know. Advice is very appreciated..

Default Re: Help?

I've read and heard it's safe - if it's pumped, wait until the milk and blood separates in the bottle and try to pour it off so that you end up with as little blood in the bottle as possible (sounds gross but it's not that bad). I've heard too much blood in the milk could possibly upset a tiny baby's tummy but isn't unsafe for them. Also, try organic coconut oil on your nipple (safe for baby) to promote healing and check that your pump isn't up too high and exacerbating the damage. Feel better!

Thank you for replying. How does it seperate? or how will i keep it seperated while pouring? Sorry, i didnt get the chance to BF my 5 year old.

Sure! It separates on its own after sitting for a bit (when this happened to me, I left mine in the fridge for, I think it was about an hour, to do this). It usually looks like more than it is at first. The blood sinks to the bottom and then you can see there's usually not that much of it - so you can pour the milk off into a separate bottle, slowly so it doesn't all mix up again. It's just me, but I poured it off until the tiniest bit of milk was left (the layer just above the blood) so that I didn't end up pouring it back into the second bottle. But, and others have said this, if the baby was breastfeeding they would have gotten the blood anyway without the mother knowing it (and the baby was fine). If the problem is continual, could your daughter be having latch issues? An IBCLC could check that out ...

Thank you for your help! I needed it.

No worries! Happy to help. I know it freaked me out when it happened, so it feels good to be able to ease the minds of other mamas!

Good advice from the PP. Feel free to start a thread about the crack- maybe we can help you figure out what's going on!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi I have had this with my previous feeding. When it bled whilst I pumped I was advised to hand express which was a PITA but it was only a day or two. If baby does ingest the blood they are likely to vomit in my experience. With DS1 I freaked thinking my son was vomiting blood then I cried as I would have to feed him again and boobies were very sore with DS2 -now four weeks I hadnt even noticed so was a little taken aback when he decorated the room a with a fetching shade of congealed pink milk shake. Like a PP said it doesnt generally do them harm but can be a little acidic on the delicate tums.

Ah yes, the odd light-pink spitup that came along with it. I forgot about that! It's amazing what your mind (kindly) lets you gloss over about those early days/weeks, and how quickly.

Thanks y'all..