Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping decrease at 10 months..

Default pumping decrease at 10 months..

I have been back at work for three months (since DS was 7mo), and have always been able to get 9-10oz over three pumping sessions. In the past few days, I have been getting 7-8oz. I've heard of your body becoming less responsive to the pump after the 9 month mark, so is this probably what's happening to me? My pump was given to me by a friend (Medela PISA) who used it for about 6 months with her son. I used it on and off for 7 months while I was home, but have only been using it regularly (3-4 times a day, 5 days a week) for 3 months. I'm afraid the pump may be wearing out, and I only need 2 more months out of it! (I plan to wean from the pump, but continue to nurse) I've replaced membranes, tubes, etc. so I know it's not that. Any thoughts? Don't tell me I need a new pump!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Default Re: pumping decrease at 10 months..

Your supply might be re-adjusting because your LO is eating solids, drinking from a sippy cup or bottle etc. If you are concerned the pump is the underlying cause you may want to rent on a very short term basis, a hospital grade pump to see if that makes the difference. My sister worked full time but she had never heard that a woman's body gets less responsive to a pump. she did say that as her son began to eat more food and drink more watered down juice her milk supply decreased.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

a lot of moms have a dip in supply at 9 or 10 months. try not to worry too much as long as you have a bit of a stash. i do think your pump is probably wearing out but you can probably make it just fine.

i would:

hand express for a few min after each pump

compressions

add in a session or two, maybe in your commute or in the evening

you can also try to add in an extra snack for your lo

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    a lot of moms have a dip in supply at 9 or 10 months. try not to worry too much as long as you have a bit of a stash. i do think your pump is probably wearing out but you can probably make it just fine.

i would:

hand express for a few min after each pump

compressions

add in a session or two, maybe in your commute or in the evening

you can also try to add in an extra snack for your lo

good luck
    . I hit the wall at 9 months with both boys. although i also think your pump is wearing out I made sure to do breast compressions while pumping, tried to add a session while driving to work, ate oatmeal, drank tons of water and this time around i did herbal supplements (which worked well but were nasty tasting).
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with everyone else. I had to add an extra pumping session in for a spell too. I take the train, so I pumped after the first time I put my baby to bed for the night. Pumping in the car would be easier, but late night works too if necessary.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

with everyone else.

Maybe try renting a pump for a couple weeks, get your supply up if you can and then see where it goes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you ladies! I'm getting by by adding in a night pump, and hopefully can maintain the 9oz for the next 2 months or so. If not, may rent a hospital grade. Thanks for the help!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again