Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 month old suddenly straining to poop, but not constipated?

Default Re: 4 month old suddenly straining to poop, but not constipa

It would probably be best if you can hold off altogether on the solids. 4 months is really young, and such tiny, underdeveloped tummies aren't really ready to process solid foods at that age.

My son showed several signs of readiness around 5.5 months so we gave solids a try for a couple days. It irritated his tummy and it was very clear that while his brain might have been ready, his poor little tummy was not. We stopped solids completely, and he was much more comfortable. He wasn't truly ready until closer to 7 months. I think that the AAP 6 month minimum age recommendation is pretty sound.

At least be aware that solids in general (not just the constipating ones - we started with pear and it was problematic because he was simply too young) can cause pooping or other digestive issues in such a young baby.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    It would probably be best if you can hold off altogether on the solids. 4 months is really young, and such tiny, underdeveloped tummies aren't really ready to process solid foods at that age.

My son showed several signs of readiness around 5.5 months so we gave solids a try for a couple days. It irritated his tummy and it was very clear that while his brain might have been ready, his poor little tummy was not. We stopped solids completely, and he was much more comfortable. He wasn't truly ready until closer to 7 months. I think that the AAP 6 month minimum age recommendation is pretty sound.

At least be aware that solids in general (not just the constipating ones - we started with pear and it was problematic because he was simply too young) can cause pooping or other digestive issues in such a young baby.
    Solids are best introduced around 6 months. Younger babies don't need them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Our pediatrician and I have discussed his solids being started already and he has agreed that he seems ready. He usually only eats peaches, apples and prunes and aside from the couple times we tried rice cereal and the banana my mother in law gave him he hasn't had any sorts of tummy troubles with them. I do however know that he is still very young for solids, and I will have to have a talk with my mother and mother in law again about being careful with portions.
    My mother in law was rearing children last before Back to Sleep, and can remember back when you gave babies honey to help them sleep. She seems to forget a lot that the rules for healthy babies have changed, and seems to need reminding about a lot of things.

This link on delaying solids may be useful to you: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../delay-solids/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"