Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Couple questions about my 11 mo old

Default Couple questions about my 11 mo old

As we're nearing a year, a few questions are starting to pop up for me.

Is it common for 11-12 month olds to suddenly revert back to newborns? She is nursing way more, and bedtimes are becoming a nursing marathon for an hour or more. Sometimes I wonder if she really is cluster feeding though, or if I'm just offering the breast for lack of a better option, as she's been fighting going to bed, regardless of the time, and despite that she's clearly sleepy. I end up literally sitting in the rocking chair, or swaying with her as she latches for a few minutes, pops off, tries to claw and push me away, only to repeat the process after a few moments of wrestling. Just when I'm ready to throw in the towel and just let her play out in the living room, she zonks out, nursing. In general though, throughout the day, she's been clingier, wanting to nurse more often. She does seem to be gearing up for another round of teeth (it looks like canines are next..) but this is more extreme than her normal teething behavior. She isn't walking, but unless that's different from crawling in terms of how their behavior changes before a milestone, this is also more intense than when she started crawling. She's pretty much throwing me for a loop.

One more question, I promise (at least for this thread!) Looking back over the past 11+ months, I find myself wondering how 'normal' my baby is. I remember reading about 'high needs babies' in Dr. Sear's baby book, and thinking she fit the description, but my DH was like, hmmm that sounds like normal newborn behavior. Thing is, I'm starting to wonder. It doesn't change how I respond to her any, but I need a little more perspective than I'm getting IRL. I feel like a freak for having a baby who still freaks out if anyone else holds her (DH can't hold her for too long of periods), even looking at her, or getting up in her face too much. She seems to have been born with separation anxiety, as she has always freaked out unless I'm in the same room as her. (or on me, as per the newborn stage) Now that she can crawl, it's gotten better, in that she'll follow me (thank goodness our house has a really open floor plan), but I think one of the only reasons she's been able to tolerate the couple hour separation from me in the afternoons, is that it coincides with her naptime. She just seems like a really sensitive little lady in general. I don't know, I guess I'm second guessing that this is just temperament, and not the fact that she gets to be attached to me all day, either via breast, or close by and that I happily oblige. Not that I'm worrying that I'm ruining her or anything, but do babies who are with their moms all the time tend toward more of this behavior naturally? Does this sound high needs? I'm starting to wonder what toddlerhood is going to look like for her, and I think I would be more confident about continuing to respond to her in such a responsive way (which I plan on doing no matter what) if I knew a little more about where she falls on the spectrum of 'normal baby behavior', y'know?
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Default Re: Couple questions about my 11 mo old

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kjohanna View Post
    Is it common for 11-12 month olds to suddenly revert back to newborns?
    Oh my, yes! It sounds like molars. Durning all the molars and canines, my baby has nursed almost 24/7. Seriously, he will unlatch look up at me an sign for more milk! Getting him out of the house helps a lot, and the usual teething remedies (ibuprofen, teething rings, etc.) can buy me a little time. Once the first tooth cuts she might ease up for a short time. It could be a burst of separation anxiety too. That can happen near a year.

Looking back over the past 11+ months, I find myself wondering how 'normal' my baby is.
    How normal are any of us? What you are describing doesn't sound all that odd to me. It just sounds like your daughter has her own personality. Some of the more challenging aspects of that personality may end up helping her flourish as she gets older. My nephew was an extremely sensitive baby who screamed with anyone other than his mother. He started growing out of that around 2. He is 5 now and he is growing into a very sweet, caring, confident, and extremely smart little boy. By being so attentive to your daughter, you are giving her the foundation she needs to grow into the person she will become with confidence. Trust yourself and your baby. You are doing great!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

your first paragraph - sounds just like mine!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Oh, good! I can't possibly imagine weaning her anytime soon (wasn't planning on it anyway) but since I know some people do wean around a year, and all my breastfeeding friends IRL have weaned by or before a year and make it seem like a non issue, my LO's nursing behavior sometimes feels extreme.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com