Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: TMI-Issues with stool. Allergies? Where do I go from here?

Default TMI-Issues with stool. Allergies? Where do I go from here?

My baby has had stinky, mucousy(sp?), bloody still for about a month and half now. I've taken him to the pediatrician twice and the ER once. I've cut out dairy for a month and a half. I've also cut out nuts. Reduced my intake of eggs. I've cut out Soy for about three weeks now. Nothing is making any difference in that regard. He's no worse and no better. I took a sample to the lab and he has no bacterial infections. I'm going to take him back to the Pedi. probably next week.

Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try or tests that I could bring up with the doctor?

btw...the little stinker is actually in the 90th percentile on weight and never seems upset. He's a generally happy guy. He get's gas once in a while, but nothing severe. And he doesn't hardly ever spit up. No weird rashes either.

Default Re: TMI-Issues with stool. Allergies? Where do I go from he

How much blood are we talking about? Specks or streaks, or larger amounts? Is it every diaper, or just the occasional one?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's in pretty much every diaper. Sometimes it's specks and sometimes it's streaky. I haven't seen any more than a quarter size. And that would be considered a lot. It isn't all in one spot either. It's throughout. It's not dark red, or current jelly-like. So most likely not the upper GI. But it's also not bright red. So, most likely not an anal fissure. It's most likely in the lower GI based on color.

Hm. My son had the same thing that you describe (although his stool was almost jelly like, and had bright red streaky blood in it), and it turned out that once I had cut out dairy (like, ALL dairy - reading ingredients lists and everything, if I had even a little bit his next stool would show it) and soy protein, it cleared up. I saw an improvement in about 3 weeks (after I took out soy), but it didn't completely clear up until about 5 or 6 weeks later.
    I'm sorry, I don't have much advice, just wanted to share my experience! Is there anyway you could have an allergy test done?
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

My son had the same issues and we found out that he has an intolerance to dairy and soy. Just like the other mommy, I have had to cut out ALL dairy and ALL soy (read all labels very carefully). He is much better now (it's been almost 2 months).

Yeah I've pretty much done the same thing. I check packaging because I realize it's in everything. I also know the keywords for dairy. So, I've avoided those. I never see an improvement. He hasn't had a normal seedy yellow poop for about 6 weeks now.

I just wanted to tell you that I am right there with you. My son is almost 7 months old. He has been having blood off and on since 5 weeks. I have cut out so many foods. I will think we have it figured out. He will have a few good weeks, then we are back to bad diapers. It is always after I have tried one of the foods back or eaten out somewhere (after fully checking ingredients) though. I'm thinking it must be some cross-contamination with the eating out. I pretty much refuse to eat out now, and I eat very little processed foods.

He hasn't ever had seedy poop. It gets back to yellow when it is good, but we never have seeds. What we have are blood specks - the size of pencil points. They will move into streaks - 1/2" long or so in mucus strips or maybe pink mucus strips. It is always only a small amount. They seem to last for a couple of weeks in every diaper. Then they go to one diaper every other day or so. Finally, we get to good looking diapers consistantly. It seems to take about 3 weeks - longer at first when I was getting dairy out of my system. I finally began keeping a food-and-poop diary. That has helped me to see what I ate without problems during a few good weeks. I can always go back to those foods and get back to good diapers. My LO is never in pain, growing well, happy, and meeting milestones. If it just wasn't for those bad diapers, life would be so easy!

There is a wonderful post under the allergy section called "Guide for Bloody Stool Babes". It has so much information and other peoples' experiences. Some of them have had diapers with larger amounts of blood. Everyone seems to have figured it out more quickly than me. I highly recommend you reading that thread.

Everything that I have read through researching says that they usually outgrow it between 6-9 months. I read the following link a good bit. It always helps me to relax about it and know that it too will pass. http://www.childrenscolorado.org/con...als/stool.aspx Also, this link explains how several things can cause blood in the stool. http://www.health-e-learning.com/articles/Lactose.pdf I use lactase drops to help my little one when he is going through a bad spell. I wish that I had it all figured out, but at least we can know that there are others out there going through the same things. Also, my LO has been skin prick allergy tested. He showed no allergies with that. That allergist said it was allergic proctocolitis or something along those lines. We see a new GI dr on Monday. If I find out anything else to help you, I will post again. Best wishes!!