Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: using up tiny stash of frozen milk

Default using up tiny stash of frozen milk

I am curious as to what to do with some old frozen milk that I caught when I was spraying like crazy at the beginning. There's about 16 oz, and it's been in the freezer for 5 months now. Not sure if it has lipase, but it might. DS is 6.5 months old, and not into solids yet. I guess I am wondering how much longer it will be ok in the freezer, or if it should be used soonish, and how?

Default Re: using up tiny stash of frozen milk

probably should be used up soon. smoothie? my DS loves his banana/yogurt/blueberry smoothie which i make wiht cows yogurt but could be mama milk instead.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You can chip off chunks and put them in a mesh feeder for a frozen treat. If it is as hot there as it has been here, then it might be good timing.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

You can use it in baby food if you plan to make baby food. Or bake crackers for baby with it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It is rather hot, but it feels less hot than this time last year or the year before. I'm sure I'll regret saying that if I go in the yard barefoot in a minute, though. I may try all of these ideas. This may be a stupid question, but how do you serve a baby a smoothie? Open cup?

we use straws with DS. i suck smoothie into the straw, cap it wtih my finger, and let it dribble into his mouth. he figured it out pretty quick. i thnk we started at maybe 9 months? and now at almost a year he's a pro, even sucks out of the bottom of the straw.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.