Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Swimming and Breastfeeding

Default Swimming and Breastfeeding

So summer is back and we have been EBF for 4months now When I am home I don't worry much about where we are to nurse, so long as we are both comfy. We have finally opened up the pool this week and I was wondering if I need to wash up before feeding her. I have no intention of nursing while I have the pool water dripping off of me, but I wasn't sure if I was to get out of the pool and be dry, or slightly damp if it would be safe for her...
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Swimming and Breastfeeding

you're wondering about the safety of her ingesting the chlorine or whatever is used as a cleaner? honestly, i'd never thought about it before. i'm certain my LO swallows more in the pool than he gets from my skin. i've never thought of that as a big deal.

i thought you were going to ask about the clothing logistics - i haven't figured that one out yet!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

There is no problem nursing poolside. I never rinsed or washed off and didn't worry about the pool water. By 5 to 6 months of age, I was taking both of my LO's in swimming with me and they would taste the water directly.

I wasn't really thinking about my older two who have loved the water since they were little and probably tasted a lot of it Sometimes my brain separates things to much. After I jumped in the pool the other day to get my oldest daughter, my mom said that I needed to wash up before nursing. It got me wondering if I really needed to worry.

I figured I would get one of those string bikinis, I'm thinking they can slide over easier. The pool is pretty private, usually just family so I don't worry about showing to much Although we got in today and I found that I can't nurse her while we are swimming, I'm to short
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

- there's no need to wash off.

I have a halter swim top and I just loosen the straps enough to pop a boob out. It's super easy, and I imagine a string bikini would be even easier (probably does not need to be loosened).

Enjoy your swim season.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I never washed off. Dryed, yes. If baby is getting in the pool too they are having much more exposure to the pool chemicals that way. If that is not an issue, nursing off the fresh from the pool breast should not be either.

I nursed poolside at the crowded community pool- I pulled a strap down and let the chips fall where they may. It was impossible to be really discreet but I never had a problem. Know your rights whenever breastfeeding in public just in case I suggest.

i'm not shy about nursing in public, but i have very large breasts (34K) and so it's kind of a whole different ballgame at the pool. i've had the best luck wearing a tankini top and pulling it up, but then my whole (big flabby) stomach is exposed, and i'm not too happy about that
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

When I nurse at a pool I slide my suit to the side and latch on. I also use a super light weight blanket, like an Aden + Anis one. Normally I don't cover up per se, but in this case I toss it over my shoulder. I'm already feeling exposed in a swim suit so this helps me.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language