Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much EBM for a 14 month old?

Default How much EBM for a 14 month old?

My DD will be 14 months old on 6/4. She usually nurses once before work, one-two times after work, and sometimes one other time in the middle of the night. During the day, I have been leaving her four bottles with 4oz in each. She usually drinks only 12 oz total, sometimes less. Today, even after a 4 day weekend, I only pumped a total of 8 oz... as of last week, I was pumping 5-7oz in the morning's for my 1st session, but today I only got 4 oz!? Does she not need 12oz a day anymore? She really doesn't eat a ton of solids. Mostly she snacks, rarely eats a "full meal". Can I cut her back to 8-10oz a day of EBM?
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Default Re: How much EBM for a 14 month old?

If she is nursing at least 3-4x a day, then she doesn't need any milk at all while you are at work. I totally understand wanting to send a little though; I continued to send milk with my son too. I think 8 ounces is perfectly fine for your daughter. That is what I started sending when my son was a similar age. He had 4 ounces for the morning, 4 ounces for lunch, then got water whenever he was thirsty in the afternoon. It worked out very well for him.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Mine gets no milk during the day, but at night, he gets 3 4 oz bottles.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

weird - double post...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Emily sponataneously decided to stop bottles at day care when she was around 14 months old. Before that she was taking 2 4-oz. bottles during the day. I kept sending them for a few weeks, but she didn't even need one at nap time.
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

It just seems she doesn't really eat a lot of solids, but it's hard for me to know b/c I am not with her during the day. I guess I need to ask the sitter how much solids she's eating. I am just so scared to stop pumping as I seem to already be pumping less. I think I might have figured out why... I missed taking my prenatal vitamins, Vitamin D and my Birth Control the last day (or maybe days....). I think that my supply dipped once before when this happened. Gotta figure out how many days I missed and get back on track and see if my supply goes back up. I missed taking all my pills one day earlier this month and went out of town w/o them, so I had to start a new pack. When I did, I took the "Sunday" pill on a Tuesday, so now I am all screwed up!?
    Last edited by @llli*rdh2378; May 30th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

My son was very hit or miss with solids until well after 15 months. Some days he would only eat 2-3 bites at each meal. He still did just fine on 8 ounces. If you are concerned, then you can offer to nurse an extra time or two when you are home with her. She may even ask to nurse more if she needs it, or she may start to eat more solids if there is less milk available during the day. At any rate, 8 ounces is more than enough milk at that age if she nurses well at home.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Just wanted to update you all... after taking all my pills for 2 days straight, and adding in one extra pumping session last night... I got 7 oz this morning, 3 oz @ Noon and 2 oz @ 3PM, so I got enough! Hopefully we're "in the clear"

Forgot to take my pill again on Tuesday night and my supply dipped again yesterday and today. I think this is my issue!!! Now, to get back on track with remembering to take it on time every night. I was doing really well for months..... ugh