Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 day old help

Default 3 day old help

this is my third baby and I never encountered this particular problem before. my milk just came in and my baby will latch, suck twice, let go and root around, cry, latch, let go repeat. I don't know why he keeps letting go, he seems to have a good latch, hes getting milk....hes now lost a pound and of course the pediatrician wants me to supplement, or pump and give him a bottle...in my experience thats the beginning of the end of breastfeeding, but of course i will do it if thats the best for my baby but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 3 day old help

Could it be OALD? Mine did similar things because of that. If there any reason to suspect that, you can try nursing while reclined. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my chest, and let him latch. This type of positioning can be helpful for a lot of issues, so maybe it's worth a try even if it's not OALD.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I was also thinking OALD. But has anyone checked for anything that could be interfering with baby staying latched, like a submucosal cleft?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I dont think it's OALD just because he's been doing it since before my milk even came in. He's been sort of improving today but now my pediatrician wants me to supplement 1 oz of formula after every bf, because of his weight loss. Is this necessary? he is getting quite a bit of milk and is nursing both sides despite his frequent unlatching. I really really really don't wanna start formula at all.

If his diapers are okay, then I don't think I would supplement; not yet anyway - weight gain may very well pick back up soon. You can try different positions or nursing in a sling to see if it helps with the unlatching, but if he's getting plenty of milk then it probably doesn't matter all that much.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Agree with PP on nursing in a sling - my kids both did that when they were overly tired or overstimulated. It's like they were hungry but tired and wanted milk and sleep simultaneously and just couldn't settle down. Try nursing him right as he is falling asleep or right when he wakes up - when he's drowsy?
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Is the weight loss real? Like was he weighed on the same scale? And as long as his diapers are good, I'd probably hold off some.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!