Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm new at this and that!

Default I'm new at this and that!

Hi there, I'm new to the group, new to being a mommy, new to breast feeding and just new in general! My little girl has really become a champion eater! About every 2-3 hours for about 30-35 min on each side. We take breaks to burp, change a diaper and coo a little, helps her wake up and get ready for round 2 so to speak. She is only 3 days by the way.

So anyway that's our game plan. She is happy, content, loving and so beautiful
    But breast feeding has begun to hurt a little. I've tried to read past posts but I can't find anything on how long this initial pain will last and if it gets worse before it gets better. Believe me, I had no misconception breast feeding would be easy. I knew it came with trials and was gonna be an art to be mastered.

I had wonderful lactation support at the hospital who got me started and worked with me every step of the way. My nipples are flat plus one was inverted. So I needed help and they were so happy to help! I'm confident in my latch, we use the football hold because I have larger breasts.

So is this pain I'm experiencing really normal or is there more going on? If it is normal how long should I expect it? Should I be washing my breasts after every feeding? I'm using lanolin/medelas brand. That helps a little. I don't want to pump already, so I'm trying to get a grip on this before it's an actual problem. I have no high expectations or unrealistic ones. Just the hope that there is help.

Thanks ladies, sorry it's all over the place but I guess these are the organized thoughts of a new mommy <3

Default Re: I'm new at this and that!

How long does it hurt? Do your nipples lok weird after nursing? When does it start hurting?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sherice View Post
    Should I be washing my breasts after every feeding?
    No - wash as little as possible and try not to use soap directly on your breasts at all. That can dry out your nipples and lead to much worse pain. Stick with the lanolin; it has always worked well for me.

Congratulations on your new baby!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

They kind of look weird but more just the shape of her mouth now. I was told and read that is normal. The right side is the side that hurts mostly. It hurts for about 15 min into the feeding. Not killer pain but I'm afraid it may. Thanks for the advice so far.

It could be a shallow latch. Have you tried relatching her when it becomes painful? Have you tried different positions? Some positions might be better than others. Nursing reclined worked very well for me when my son was a newborn (but I had pretty bad overactive letdown and my son was biting down to slow the flow - ouch). This "laid back" positioning can help with lots of things though. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my son on my chest, and let him latch.

Remember that you are not confined to the few positions that they show you in the hospital. Do whatever feels right for you and your baby.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Mmm, if the nip comes out of baby's mouth looking anything other than symmetrical- i.e. asymmetrical, ridged, creased, wedged, or shaped like a new lipstick, then that's an indicator of a latch problem and would explain the pain you're experiencing. So, can you describe the nipple shape you see after baby finishes nursing?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks everyone, I'm sure I've resolved this issue, thanks to your help and the resources page! I'm so greatful and feel so blessed to have the LLLI. I probably would have already given up., :-)