Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here with a few questions! :) Vit. D, supply, duration..

Default Re: New here with a few questions! :) Vit. D, supply, durati

My DH says bottles interfere with bonding. He had to help me with our fourth, as I had to pump for him instead of directly breastfeed. DH says he was exhausted, so exhausted he couldn't bond and just went through the motions for a long time. Honestly, both of us did. Don't do bottles unless you have to. Have Daddy do other baby care things, and he sure can "father-nurse" with sleepy baby while you grab a shower and clean clothes.

Unless you are going back to work, you don't NEED a stash of milk. Sme moms do like having a bit so they can go out for a few hours, but I find it easier to just tie baby to me and go, breastfeeding on the run.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

First of all I just wanna say that THANK YOU! to all the posts and advice! I need every bit of it and I appreciate it especially from those with success and experience. I will try the Carlson's baby d drops and thanks for the recommendation. I feel weird about giving him the vitamin-I don't know whats gotten into me- I didn't anticipate feeling like this but the thought of someone else feeding him and giving him a bottle freaks me out too! Must be new mom jitters and I hope I can loosen up a little. Im gonna let the pump go and trust that all will be ok. WHAT REALLY GOT ME SUCH A NERVOUS WRECK WAS in the hospital my lo was jaundice and they said he didn't have more than 1 peepee diaper on that 2nd day- even though I was working and working with him and he seemed to be doing well bf-The lact consultatant would say "you're an old pro" and run out of the room) he was just so sleepy- so they had my husband give him some formula in a syringe- IT almost KILLED Me.I was recovering from some unintended interventions and a broken tailbone- and looking back on it now, I was so out of it- definately didn't have the birth story I intended- BUT thanks to the Good Lord Ihave a healthy happy baby and I have to make peace with my experience.Let me tell you it was a doozy, I have yet to put it on paper... Anyways, once we came home from hosp 3 days later I have been ebf. I got spooked but 5 weeks later I think we are doing ok!
    I feel like I am blessed, I do have support, but even my mom who breast fed me, says I need to get him on a schedule and give him a pacifer!!! I feel like I am going against the grain and all I have are my ideas and ways from The WOMANLY ART OF BREAST FEEDING. I want to start a LLL group here in my city- there is none! Thanks for listening- I am jumping around- so many ideas and questions......
    ALso- I was wondering what people did with their pumped breast milk if they didn't end up giving it to thier baby? The co sleeper advice was good too thanks. One more ques- does anyone else have little white spots on end of nipples? thinking they are blebs and they come and go- hurt a little and then not...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommylove View Post
    I will try the Carlson's baby d drops and thanks for the recommendation. I feel weird about giving him the vitamin
    If you feel weird about it then you can get your baby out into sunshine instead of giving the drops. I supplement during the winter, but not during the summer. My son has fairly light skin, so I bring him outside every day (between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.) in just shorts then after 10-15 minutes I put a shirt and some sunscreen on him. If your baby's skin is darker, then he will need more sunlight exposure. If you live somewhere that is warm year round, then you might not need to supplement at all. However if you bundle up in the winter, then you should consider vitamin D supplementation during that time.

I didn't anticipate feeling like this but the thought of someone else feeding him and giving him a bottle freaks me out too! Must be new mom jitters and I hope I can loosen up a little.
    You don't need to loosen up on the bottle issue. Nature intended for you, and only you, to feed your baby. As long as you are with your baby there is absolutely no reason for anyone else to feed him!

Anyways, once we came home from hosp 3 days later I have been ebf. I got spooked but 5 weeks later I think we are doing ok!
    Sounds to me like you are doing great!

I was wondering what people did with their pumped breast milk if they didn't end up giving it to thier baby?
    You can donate it. You can freeze it in an ice cube tray to make "momcicles" which are great in a mesh feeder during teething. You can cook/bake with it.

does anyone else have little white spots on end of nipples? thinking they are blebs and they come and go- hurt a little and then not...
    I've had a few blebs, but only one at a time. I get them occasionally from pumping for too long. They are always quite painful for me, and I always poke them with a sterilized needle to clear them out and relief follows quickly after that. Could the spots just be little bits of dead skin? I got a little bit of that on my nipples in the beginning. That didn't hurt nearly as much as a bleb.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Welcome and congrats on your baby! I know it's hard not to worry but it sounds like things are going fine! Keep up the good work! My new baby girl is a fast eater (a few minutes on just one side then she's done!) and also sleeps for longer stretches then my son did. It worried me at first but she is gaining well and her diapers are great. So hang in there, mama!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135