Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does baby pulling off mean??

Question What does baby pulling off mean??

My daughter is 6 weeks old, and we've definitely had our nursing struggles, but it's still gradually improving. In the past couple of weeks, she will start pulling herself off after about 5-10 min. of feeding, and then will latch back on, then suddenly come back off again. She DOESN'T do this every time we nurse, just once in a while. Sometimes she will be screaming and wailing when this is going on...and I know there's milk coming out because it's dripping from her mouth. Could this be a sign of her not liking something I have eaten? Please help. Thanks!

Default Re: What does baby pulling off mean??

Could be from a forceful let down. My baby did that a lot when she was small--pull off as soon as I felt the let down then latch back on. Wonder if it could be the same for you? She also started letting go after the milk really slowed down and would wait it out til the next let down. I'm sure there could be other causes too, but that seemed to be what did it for my DD.

We too had a similar situation, swaddling ds helped a lot and also putting him back on after the let down. Also nursing him with out a lot of distractions was helpful too. Blessings

My DS does that a lot of the time, it can hurt sometimes too.

i know with my son when he pulls off, he needs to burp (he has reflux), if i mistakenly miss his cue and put him back on he will scream and cry until i burp him (by that time, he has usually either thrown up or is on his way there)

This happened with my son, Cayden. What I had to do was pump for a minute before latching him on..the letdown was just too much for him at first.

Tiffany

Hi,

So I didn't realize I could 'let down' after that baby has already been nursing for 10 minutes? That is good information to know! Thank you!

Janis

My son started pulling off as well, probably at about the same time (6 wks). I was really frustrated (in tears several times) but now I've realized that when he does that it's either a reaction to my strong letdown or he has to burp. In fact when he starts the tugging pulling off grabbing screaming spitting out routine he almost always has a burp in there somewhere. This is happening a lot less frequently now (he's 11 wks) because I can sense the burp there and catch it earlier. I'm now dealing with other issues related to him being frustrated with a slow letdown, but that's more tugging than pulling off. In any case, hang in there!

Annie

How do you know that the baby has had enough if she is always squirming and arching because of reflux problems!

Thanks
    Prathibha