Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SNS Question

Default SNS Question

Goodmorning ladies,
    I was wondering, where is the most affordable place to get an SNS (supplementary nursing system)? Does this magical device only exist online or is there a store somewhere in the united states that sells it? If it is only found online or by a professional giving it to you, what is the best website to buy one? Thank you in advance! I really want to breastfeed and I'm sure this will help us ;-)

Default Re: SNS Question

Good question! over the years, i have recommended the Lact-Aide to women. They sell over the internet and I haven't heard any negative comments.
    If you can talk one on one to a La Leche League Leader I'm sure you can get the individualized attention you need to reach your breastfeeding goal. Good Luck!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Should I contact a local leader or is there a general leader? Like a 1(800) number. Also, are leaders normally available on Sunday's, Or do I have to wait until Monday? I have so many questions. I'm sorry

Don't be sorry! Your best chance to contact a Leader is to find a local leader near you. Check out the Resource tab at the top of this website. You can find a leader near you. Leaders take phone calls at their own time schedule, so sometimes it's catch-as-catch can!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

also feel welcome to post your questions here! there are leaders and other fabulously experienced mamas.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You can order a Lact aid from their website, no prescription needed. It's much better than any other SNS...you can even nurse laying down with it on! (unless your baby is a cleft baby like mine).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

As an adoptive mom, I have ample personal experience with both the SNS and Lact-Aid, and have also known many other adoptive moms who have. I haven't met anyone who has used both who does not prefer the Lact-Aid. If you don't expect to need it real long and expect to have some help putting it on or at least someone to help with the baby while you are putting it on, you can use the SNS but if you expect to need to use it quite a few times a day, for more than a short time, I would say to just go ahead and get the Lact-Aid. Get the deluxe kit, which has two complete units, so you have more than one of every piece. If you like it, I would consider getting the 4-pack of units that they offer, which is a more economical way of getting additional units. With six, you only need to wash once a day, most days, and then twice every few days, which is really helpful. When the baby was a bit older and I was sure he/she was getting several ounces of milk from me, I started refilling then one time, but only if I was able to get it right back into the fridge. If it had sat around very long, I didn't reuse it. Some moms wash them and reuse them. I only did that the time I left on a four day trip without my rolls of bags. I had five filled units with me and had to make those bags last. Fortunately, the baby I was nursing was on some solids and not nursing quite as often as he had, earlier! If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a four ounce baby bottle, enlarged the hole in the nipple a little bit, put the cap on with the nipple upside-down, and then push the extension tube of the Lact-Aid down through the hole. If you haven't seen the Lact-Aid that probably makes no sense, but they have pictures on their website!