Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply in one breast?? Or both??

Question Low milk supply in one breast?? Or both??

Hello ladies!!

I'm very new to this forum. I will give you background on me and my situation. I am a 30 year old mother of two. My oldest is 11 and I currently have a 4 week old.

My newborn has been a struggle to breastfeeding but blessings have been poured all over us

At birth she wouldn't latch or do anything at that matter. For the the first 36 hours she wouldn't eat..only slept. When she did wake up she wouldn't latch. I immediately had to pump in the hospital and cup feed my colostrum. (while she was sleeping) at birth she was 6:14 and she was born at 7:15 in the morning. By that evening she was 6:9. I was sooo desperate. She did take the milk via cup. By that morning she was 6:6 I had to supplement. They started testing her blood sugar thinking it was low because all she did was sleep.

The nurses made me feel like it was my fault for my child starving and losing weight, I desperately wanted to feed my child. I was pumping my heart out only to find out she was still losing weight. I had to see the doctor 3 times a week only to see her weight go up and then down. My nipples felt like raw meat. Her NO LATCH turned into shallow latch. I bared with it just to feed my child.i was in sooooooooooooo much pain. I tried everything for relief. I finally took a break and only pumped. Well to my surprise, she took the bottle while I took a 8 hour break. My milk supply trippled and I froze it. Well that evening, I wanted to return to Feeding her. She rejected me and her bottle!

We had to be referred to a feeding therapist. After 3 sessions, she was stronger in the bottle feeding. I was pumping about 3.0-4.0 ounces from the pump. I had to wait until her feeding was strong enough to reintroduce the breast. It has been a tough road of pain....but after a trip to the LC her latch has gotten sooooo much better and I can sit through a feeding without crying myself.

I attempted to try to bf her right before I got better and her favorite breast (left) she bruised so I took a nursing break from and only pumped. That breast used to yield the most and my right didn't. Now the tables have turned and the left barely yields an ounce while right yields 2-3 ounces. My pump supply looks low, but she's nurses well and she even nurses until she spits up and she's content. Not fussy...not crying. Her diapers are excellent.
    What do you think is going on? Is my milk supply depleting? Should I be concerned? What can I do to better the output of my milk?

Please explain...I have been through enough and I'm getting nervous over here...

Default Re: Low milk supply in one breast?? Or both??

Wow!
    Can I firstly say how amazing you are.
    That's so wonderful to hear how determined you are to breast feed - very inspirational and by the sounds of it, it's going great now!

Mothers are truly amazing.

I'm a first time Mum so I'm no authority on breast-feeding and all I have to offer is my own personal experience.

I have one breast that is substantially lower in milk supply than the other (or so I think) When I pump, (I only do to have some frozen just in case we need it) my left breast only gives me 0.5 to 1 oz, whilst the other can give me up to 4oz - I wrote a post much like yours and everyone that replied told me it's completely normal.
    Since posting that I've read more about it and am no longer concerned.
    I do get her to feed from that breast first though, (the lower supply one) surprisingly that breast has as many as 4 let downs whilst my 'better supplied' breast will have only one let down - so who really knows how much milk I have - I'm starting to think that my left breast just doesn't like my pump and besides, all you need is one breast to feed your baby so she will definitely be getting enough and the wet diaper output is the safest thing to go on - not fussiness or anything else, my LO is still fussy at the breast but her diapers are wonderful.

I'm slowly increasing the amount in the other breast though through her feeding on it first with the strongest suck.

I hope that kinda helps and again can I just say you're amazing, such an inspiring story to hear x

Oh also my LO was born 6.10oz and when we left she was 6oz, babies can lose up to 10% of their birth weight - it's quite normal and no one was concerned about it.

@tanpixie-

Thank you for your encouraging words! You have no idea how much you guys have helped me. People like you make my journey worth it. We need encouragement! This journey is not easy! Lol

I appreciate your help. It makes me feel like " hey.... I'm not alone!!"
    I'm going to let her feed from this side more. I have faith that it will be restored. I caught it in time. I'm going to take all of your advice in hand to read over it over and over again.

Thanks doll!!!

Hi mama, good for you!

Pump output is never a good indication of supply. Look at your daughter's behavior - is she happy, full, good diaper output - for a better sense.

So - it sounds like you now have her back to the breast completely? Are you still pumping and giving bottles at all? Are your nipples healing now? Letting her nurse on earliest cue will bring your supply back up if in fact it is low. Not sure exactly what your other questions are, but ask away!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsjenks View Post
    @tanpixie-

I appreciate your help. It makes me feel like " hey.... I'm not alone!!"
    I'm going to let her feed from this side more. I have faith that it will be restored. I caught it in time. I'm going to take all of your advice in hand to read over it over and over again.

Thanks doll!!!

You're so welcome!
    That's why I love this site also - it's so encouraging to hear other breast feeding Mum's stories and to realise that you can do it and whilst it is one of the most natural things in the world it's also a bit tough to start with - but everything you experience is completely normal!

Interesting fact, anthropologists say the first 'tool' ever invented was the baby sling so mothers could breastfeed whilst gathering food!

so don't give up!

Way to go! It can be hard, but it is so worth it! Are pumping after a nursing session? The milk you get out will be less than if you are strictly pumping. As a previous mom said, look at your baby. Is she content after a feeding, having plenty of wet/dirty diapers.... is yes then you are supplying plenty. I do hope you are healing and that it is becoming an enjoyable relationship! Keep up the hard work and dedication, its refreshing to see a mom fight so hard for herself and her baby!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    Hi mama, good for you!

Pump output is never a good indication of supply. Look at your daughter's behavior - is she happy, full, good diaper output - for a better sense.

So - it sounds like you now have her back to the breast completely? Are you still pumping and giving bottles at all? Are your nipples healing now? Letting her nurse on earliest cue will bring your supply back up if in fact it is low. Not sure exactly what your other questions are, but ask away!
    Yes I'm so happy. She's back to me 100% this pass 48 hours. It's been a different experience for me an her. I try to pump a bottle for dad but she's been very clingy and demanding. She has wanted to eat every 1:30-2:00 hours. I am having a hard time reading her cues now..lol I love every minute of it. My nipples are 100 percent healed. I don't hurt at all! She actually opens her mouth big now. She only had one bottle and she looked at me like " what's this?." lol

She has had 8 bm's
    And about the same wets if not more. Her output hasn't dropped off.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*columbakss View Post
    Way to go! It can be hard, but it is so worth it! Are pumping after a nursing session? The milk you get out will be less than if you are strictly pumping. As a previous mom said, look at your baby. Is she content after a feeding, having plenty of wet/dirty diapers.... is yes then you are supplying plenty. I do hope you are healing and that it is becoming an enjoyable relationship! Keep up the hard work and dedication, its refreshing to see a mom fight so hard for herself and her baby!
    Yes I love it!!! It feels good to be needed you know. At one point I was depressed because she loved the bottle and I wasn't needed. My husband motivated me to never give up. It was worth it.

awesome!

a bit of advice: don't pump if it's anything but necessary or pleasurable for you. there are lots of ways dads bond, and bottles are not the main ways. putting the pump away can really be freeing because then all you have to do is nurse your baby. adn every 1.5-2 hours is normal!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.