Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Formula or Alternative to supplement Induced Lactation

Question Best Formula or Alternative to supplement Induced Lactation

Hi! My husband and I are in the process of adopting our first child domestically out of state. We haven't been matched yet with a mom and her unborn baby(ies), so we don't know how long we will have to prepare.

I'm researching inducing lactation and checking with my doctor to find out if it is a good fit for me. (I'm usually not keen on taking supplemental hormones for long periods of time so there's still quite a bit of discernment that I have to do.)

I know that breastfeeding is best, but I also know that I will very likely need to supplement anything I might produce through induced lactation with formula.

What is the best formula to use? Or is there a reasonable and healthy alternative to mass produced formula? (I am pretty anti-Soy and also happen to be allergic to it.)

Since breastfeeding moms have their children's best chance for a healthy future and well being in mind, I thought that I would ask other adoptive/induced lactating moms what formula options they had resorted to.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Best Formula or Alternative to supplement Induced Lactat

Hi mama. Have you considered a milk bank or milk share. Human milk for human babies has a FB page where you can post your story and request milk from moms who have milk to donate.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes - I'm looking into a milk bank/milk share option. My sister is pregnant (as are what seems to be about a billion of my friends and co-workers.) My sister has agreed to provide some supplemental breastmilk for our baby. We have no idea if we will bring our future baby home while my sister is still nursing. But there will be logistical issues anyway in that I live in one state, we will adopt and have to stay for a couple of weeks in another state, my sister and all lactating friends live in other states.

Plus I'm less comfortable with breast milk from complete strangers in a non-milk bank situation.

i know that breastmilk is best but I'd like to know what the second best thing is.

I don't have any advice on which formula to use, I've never used it, but wanted to wish you luck on induction and hope you get your baby soon. There are some really knowledgable women here and some have been successful in inducing milk. Hopefully they will chime in soon. I bet it's an amazing way to bond with the baby. Good luck!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Got it. . Not sure on a brand then mama. Good luck and congrats!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

BTW - Thanks for the Human Milk 4 Human Babies FB info!

It's nice to know that there are options out there

Sure. We do have moms on here who have nursed their children (whom they adopted). It's a holiday so less traffic today.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

You might want to check out the Diaperswappers forum for advice on formulas. They have a sub-forum that's dedicated to formula feeding.

I think that in general it is best to choose commercial mass-produced formula over anything home-made. I know that just goes against everything we are told about food- we aren't advised to pick burgers and fries over organic salads and free-range meat, right?! But when it comes to formulas I think that the commercial brands do have the edge, because of the complex chemistry involved. I mean, you can make home-made formula. My grandma raised 9 babies on it: boiled cow's milk plus karo syrup. Not only a pain to produce but very simple in composition compared to formula or breastmilk. You don't need to choose a branded product over a generic, though. In general, it's the same stuff in a different can.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah- it's tough because some people think that formula is so horrible that it's better to make your own. Others think as you stated above that it's just not a good idea to make your own to use on a regular basis because there is soo much that needs to be there to nourish the baby.

A friend suggested this site that suggests supplementing the mass produced formula to get it up to par: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-part-one.aspx

* sigh *

Things would be so much easier if my body knew that I was adopting

I agree with Mommal. I have major issues with formula companies, but when you need formula, you need formula. I would choose a well recognized brand and would not try to make my own. I myself was given cow's milk with honey starting at like four months, but that is NOT ideal!

But also, babies can be picky about taste. Especially if they've been spoiled with the taste of delicious breastmilk! So you may need to try a few.

Good luck on your journey to induce lactation! I hope some of the mamas who have BTDT will drop by ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.