Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15 month old/ breast pain, losing my mind, help!

Default 15 month old/ breast pain, losing my mind, help!

Hi Ladies,
    I haven't posted since my son was .. gosh, maybe 6 months? I have had ALOT of support from you ladies, and wouldn't have made it this far without LLL.

My son just got over a virus and has been nursing like crazy, understandably so, well a few days ago I noticed I woke up with a bit of soreness from my left breast. I honestly thought i slept on it wrong. Another day went by, and I've started to get paranoid.. i've been feeling around and I know this sounds goofy but i'm not sure if i'm feeling a lump or a small hard ball at times.. nor can I really tell if it's moveable or not... yes, I am going to call about it, but before I lose another night of sleep over this, any insight would be helpful!!! I'm always thinking the worst (breast cancer, i'm one who panics over anything). **also have to add that his favorite breast to nurse/comfort nurse on is the breast that is "infected"

While i'm here, I feel like my son is one in a billion who doesn't sleep throughout the night.. he has had problems since he was 4 months old and his peds seem to think it's his constant ear infections, or his reflux... his only symptom is squirming at night and i have to have my arm under his back.. his usual pattern of sleep is waking up every 3 to 4 hours.. this isn't normal, we've tried every and all sorts of reflux meds and we will see a gi doc soon, but i'm just so curious to see, does this sound familiar with anyone? Can anyone here relate at all? He's 15 months going on 16 months on wednesday.

thanks a bunch everyone!!!!
    Last edited by @llli*marinewife; May 28th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: 15 month old/ breast pain, losing my mind, help!

i would think it could easily be a plugged duct, maybe just very close to the nipple. i would massage and apply heat while nursing if you can. if it is in an awkward place then maybe just try massaging/hand expressing in a warm bath or with a heating pad.

if it doesnt seem to get better than have it checked out. hope it feels better soon.

it's about a pinky length away from the nipple on the left side... hopefully i'm making sense?? think so? i'm hoping it can be.. i'm just a bit disillusioned with my own breast, can't tell lol

just thought i would reiterate he has been doing marathon feeding sessions (waking up every 1-2 hours a night and feeding for an hour each time..) ((after his bout with a nasty virus) ... i know he's comfort nursing, but something seems to really bother him, and i started the soreness a few days ago.

the extra sessions could be many things. teeth are always my first though, maybe he is still being sick/recovering, etc. i try not to worry about why my son nurses extra, i just use it as a sign that he needs more at that time.

the soreness could be from him latching slightly off or nursing more often. the lump though sounds like a plug.

Sounds like a plug. Try varying your LO's nursing position, massage, moist heat (warm baths, compresses on the sore area and the nipple), and pumping if baby is unable to empty the plug himself. Also, check your nippe for anything that resembles a blister- often plugs form behind blisters/blebs. Blebs are often more apparent right after nursing, so check then.

FTR, I have been told that breast cancer is typically painless. In a nursing mom, plugged ducts are always a good bet to explain strange lumps.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm currently going through this. Sounds like the same thing, even down to it being my son's "favorite" breast. It sounds like a plugged duct. I followed the advice of mommal and other ladies, and things seem to be improving. Good luck!

I replied yesterday in the infant section. did you see that? here it is again jic.

Sleep concerns first: It is perfectly typical for a toddler to wake lots at night. Actually I know plenty of toddler nurisng moms who would kill for a 4 hour stretch. Even for babies who were sleeping well before, this can change in toddlerhood. One theory is that all the milesstones and beginning to feel more independent of mommy with being able to walk-even run, away from her, etc, can make baby crave reassurance at night. Sure it could indicate a medical issue but need not be that. I stongly suggest the excellent book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler.

Possible plugged milk duct: Get your breast checked out if you are concerned, and in the meantime you can treat yourself for a plugged duct. Maybe all the nursing ramped up supply and then you did sleep funny on it, or wore a too snug bra or carried a bag or whatever that cut into it, there does not have to be a specific reason, sometimes plugs just happen.

Dealing with plugs and blebs (blebs are plugged ducts on the surface of the nipple rather than up inside the breast.) http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

Plugged ducts & mastits: (Sometimes plugs can develop into a breast infection called mastitis) http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/