Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mucous in poop - to much fore milk?

Default Mucous in poop - to much fore milk?

I've read somewhere that mucous in poop can mean diary intolerance or to much foremilk milk - my LO's poop today was the normal mustard seed but with mucous - she did a lot of straining to get it out and has done 4 in 2 hours - the last one was slightly green and she has been coughing on the breast and crying and pulling of during let down (yep I"ve stopped pumping now!) .... so being a first time Mum, I'm trying to not be to be concerned about it - does anyone know - should i phone my pedi straight away or can I afford to wait a couple of days and see how it develops - thanks!

ps : she normally feeds on just one breast during feedings as well and after she's fed I always notice my hindmilk has come in.

I should also add ...

pss : that I drank three glasses of milk last night during the night, 2am, 5am and 8am I was just craving it so could it be that as well?

Default Re: Mucous in poop - to much fore milk?

If she is pulling away, coughing, and crying at letdown it's probably an issue with overactive letdown. Try nursing while reclined. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my chest, and let him latch himself. Some women have luck removing the baby at letdown and letting the milk run into a towel before relatching. Some hand express a little milk before nursing.

Stop worrying about foremilk/hindmilk. There is no real distinction, rather just a gradual change in milk composition through the feed. Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is rarely an issue, and it is relatively minor even when it is an issue. I had awful OALD/OS, and even the times when my son would have explosive, foamy, green poops, it still wasn't a problem other than having to work a little extra hard to work out his gas.

ETA: The straining is normal as the baby grows. Bicycling legs, tummy massage, holding the baby supported in a squatting position, and warm baths help with both gas and passing poops.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; May 28th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).