Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: marathon nursing

Default marathon nursing

I'm not sure I really have a question or just a need to vent. DD is now 7 weeks. I feel like she's been fussy and cluster feeding since week 4 with very brief moments of being a happy baby. If she's awake it's either fuss or nurse. I'd rather nurse, but this amounts to hours and hours. We sometimes nurse 2-3 times within 1 hour. During the day when not napping she doesn't wait more than 50 mins b/w nursing. At week 5 she was sleeping at night in 3.5 hour stretches. Now we're lucky for 1.5 hours. This is much more than anything I've read about frequency days. She falls asleep at the breast but cannot be moved or else she screams. Oh, and then there's the fussing and stretching and pulling at the breast. I should add that a lot of this is comfort nursing, which I don't want to take away.

I know supply is good. I know diapers are good. Her poos have dropped from 6-7 to 4 times a day, which I think is age appropriate. We've had latch issues. Up until a week ago latch was painful. With our move to laid back there's no pain at all. My sore is actually healing. But I do worry about milk transfer as the latch seems shallow -- not a large amount of breast, milk down the side of her face. It makes me scared that the constant nursing isn't normal newborn behavior but hunger. That said, she's rejected the last 2 BM bottles when offered by either me or DH. She goes right back to the breast, even if she was unhappy w/ it 5 mins before.

I do try to distract her -- bouncing, music & dance, the wrap makes for a long afternoon nap and a walk for me. But I still feel like I'm just not doing something right. DH is back at work, we're in a new city, so mom and friends are far. I'm isolated w/ all the nursing and desperate for my girl's first social smiles.

Please tell me this will pass. What can I do to make it better?

Default Re: marathon nursing

This will pass. I'm not sure what's causing the excessive fussiness, but whatever it is it isn't a supply issue or a milk transfer issue. If it was, diaper output would indicate a problem, and it doesn't. So whatever is going on, you should feel confident that you have the fundamentals under control.

Based on what you've described, I am thinking that there are 3 possibilities to explain your baby's behavior: either it's normal new baby fussiness with a touch of colic, or it's oversupply, or it's reflux. New baby fussiness/colic would explain frequent feedings, fussiness, and wanting to be physically attached to mom at all times. Oversupply would explain the milk running down the side of baby's face (many babies deal with a fast flow by letting the excess run out of their mouths), would match well with nipple damage (babies can compress and damage the nipple in an attempt to slow the flow) and with laid-back positions being better for you. Reflux would match well with the fussiness and extremely frequent feedings (some babies with reflux nurse non-stop, because constant swallowing helps keep stomach contents down where they belong and because milk helps to neutralize stomach acid).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with all of the above. I had awful oversupply, and my baby fussed horribly at that age. The suggested techniques are very helpful!

I just want to promise that you are doing right by your baby to comfort her as you are and that this phase will pass. I don't recall the exact timing (see, at only 18 months memories of the difficulties are already fading) but around 4-8 weeks and 4 months were the absolute worst for my son in terms of fussiness. Going outside, nice warm baths, all the things you are doing do help. Sometimes I needed to shake things up and depart from the normal routines to make him happy, but sometimes he was simply inconsolable.

I'm glad to hear you are able to get out for a walk. I truly think that is so good for your mental health. You are doing everything you can to show your baby that you are there for her, and that will pay off greatly as she grows. You are sowing the seeds that will help her grow into a confident, happy child.

Hang in there! It gets better. Way, way better!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks so much for the 3 suggestions. We've got a ped appt today to ask about GERD. She doesn't spit up a lot but I read that's not always a symptom. The constant nursing and back arching on the other hand...

A follow-up query re: oversupply: would the constant nursing on 1 breast create over-supply, inc the comfort feeding? I can't switch her to the other side (1 breasted). If this is a problem should I limit comfort feeding? Reluctant to do that but wld if necessary. She's never had a paci. Trying to get an LC appt too to see if this indeed an issue for us.

And if it is just newborn fussies then I'll nurse and let it pass. Very lucky not to be teaching during the summer.

Oh, I keep forgetting that you're the one who is making it work with just one breast! You should put it in your siggy, mama. It might seem like you're putting too much personal information out there, but on the other hand it would be so encouraging for mamas who are struggling to make it happen with 2 working breasts.

Since you're using just one breast out of necessity, instead of doing it because baby only wants one breast at a feeding (typical of moms with oversupply), I doubt you're in an oversupply situation. But it is possible- babies usually need only 2-4 oz per feeding, and some moms will produce far more than that with a single breast. So if you do conclude that you have oversupply, don't limit comfort nursing. Moms with oversupply do best (and their babies do best) when they drain the breast of small amounts more frequently, rather than removing larger amounts less frequently.

possible signs of oversupply:
    - frequent feelings of "fullness" or engorgement
    - strong letdown sensation
    - lots of leaking in between feedings
    - if baby pulls off of breast while nursing, mom may observe milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - mom is able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease, if she is pumping
    - baby is excessively gassy, produces poop which is consistently or very frequently green (fluorescent green, spinach green, keely green)
    - baby gains weight very rapidly
    - baby may "clamp down" on nipple, pull off the breast very frequently
    - baby appears to dislike comfort nursing
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Does your hospital provide lactation consults? They can do the weigh, feed, re-weigh. That will give you an idea of what's transferred...right?
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Thanks again all.

Doc gave an Rx for zantac though she doesn't think it's GERD. I'm also thinking it's not OS as we really don't fit most of the criteria. We'll see if zantac helps. Of course she's been napping and not fussing or feeding for most of this evening. Ohhh newborns! Good news, though: she gained over a pound in 2 weeks. Not worried about supply or transfer.

That's wonderful news on the weight gain, mama! Job well done!