Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Readyness and first food

Default Readyness and first food

Hi!

I did baby led solids with DD2 and I'm planning on doing it with DD3 but I can't remember how I did it
    I'm not sure if she is ready yet, she is 6 and a half months, almost 7mo but she doesn't sit up unsupported yet nor she seems interested in our food BUT... today I was giving her the D vitamin drops and the dropper fell, she was so upset, as if saying, give me my drops now! (they are sweet and taste like apple juice)

Do you think this means she is ready? If so, what food would you start with? Squash cut in stripes (finger food) or cereal with a spoon?

I'm not on a hurry but I don't want to miss her cues.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Default Re: Readyness and first food

At almost 7 months, I don't see any problem with sitting her in a chair, putting a slice of fruit or vegetable in front of her, and seeing what she does with it. I think her actions/attidudes toward the piece of food would likely be the best indication if she is ready or not.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

If you are doing baby led solids I would not start until she is sitting unassisted. She needs to be able to feed herself completely. She can't do that if she can't sit up. We did only foods he could pick up and put in his own mouth. We skipped cereal altogether. It's not on LLL lists of first foods and lacks any real nutritional value except the iron they fortify with and that isn't nearly as absorbable as iron you will get from real whole foods. We did bananas and avacados with no real success. And then had much success with watermelon and cucumber spears. Other great firsts are sweet potato friesand bread crust. You want to cut things into french fry shaped pieces so that she can get her hand around and and get it in her mouth but the pieces aren't big enough to choke her if they go down.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for your replies!! I think I'll wait a bit longer