Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby still hungry!!!???

Default Baby still hungry!!!???

I have a 4 week old little guy who nurses a lot during the day. About 1 or 2 in the afternoon he seems to be starving and not getting full- he wants to nurse then cries at my breast after a while. Are my breasts empty and he's just not letting my supply stock up or is he just being greedy? I hate thinking that he's going hungry so I've been giving him a bottle around this time - which he scarfs down. I don't want to continue supplementing but don't want my son to be hungry and screaming either. What is going on ?
    -tommysmama12
    *baby boy 4/28/12*

Default Re: Baby still hungry!!!???

Hi mama,

Congrats on your new baby!

Milk is a demand-supply system. It is normal for new babies (among others) to want to nurse ALL. THE. TIME. in order to bring up your supply, especially when he's going through a grow spurt or something. So when you give a bottle, you are actually telling your body to make LESS milk. The name of the game is just settle in for a long couple days nursing, get a book or your computer, relax, and keep switching baby back and forth as long as he wants to nurse. The idea that supply has to "stock up" is kind of a myth: the way you make more milk is by removing milk.

Second, babies don't control the flow out of a bottle like they do from the breast, so the fact that he "scarfs" it down doesn't mean anythign about how hungry he is. He has to swallow to avoid choking.

Third, MANY babies - maybe all? - go through a phase that some books even have a name for - the "four week fussies" - almost always in the evening hours but maybe yours starts earlier in the day. They just fuss. Try changing the scenery, go for a walk, bounce, rock, nurse nurse nurse. It's a phase most of us have been through and it's distressing but it is completely normal and it will pass - in a few weeks.

You don't mention, so I'll just say: the best way to make sure you have enough supply and make sure that baby is getting enough is to nurse on demand, at earliest cues, around the clock. And look at his diaper output. Until 6 weeks, breastfed babies should have something like 3+ stools per day and at least 6 wet diapers. After 6 weeks, poops might decrease to as infrequently as weekly, but wets should stay at 6+/24 hours.

So my advice: stop giving bottles. Let baby nurse. When he's really fussy do something different to distract him. Good luck and hang in there!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Auderey: Touche on the advice. Those first four weeks were tough; now that my little girl is nine months old, it's gotten easier. I agree with you, just let the baby control the outflow, he knows what he's doing
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Yep I agree with pp. I called it the witching hours. With my DS2 I ended up taking
    him in my bedroom with dim lights and just nursing for hours. Yes he screamed and pulled off but this time was needed to get our bodies in sync.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

i have a friend whose daughter is named autumn, but during those evening fussies they called her winter ....

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Growth spurt? Evening fussies? Gassiness? Needs diaper change? Needs change of scenery? (seriously, even at that age, my son got mad when we stayed in one room all day). Normal baby crankiness for no apparent reason? There are many things it could be, but it is unlikely that you don't have enough milk, especially if this just started.
    If you let him hang out at the breast, even if they feel empty (they are never truly empty, but continually making milk), he will signal your body to make more milk, since supply=demand in breastfeeding. I'd be careful with the bottles, since that both tells your body that that amount of milk (that you gave via bottle) is not needed by baby, so it stops making it, and also since many babies will develop a flow preference, knowing that getting milk from a bottle is really easy and nursing is comparatively more difficult. This can lead to breast refusal.

When my son was around that age and doing that sort of thing, I tried nursing him first. Then burping or bicycling his legs. If that didn't work, then I changed his diaper. If that didn't work, I'd try singing; putting him in the sling and going for a walk; going into the yard to look at the light coming through the leaves of the trees; holding him in "leopard on a limb" position over my arm (this is also a good workout, hehe). Some people swear by swaddling (it only pissed mine off more, so I gave up on it).

ETA: I see that I took too long typing.
    Last edited by @llli*rakoonz; May 28th, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: great minds think alike

Yup, during the Fourth Trimester it is impossible for them to be "greedy", their only motivation right now is survival!

Definitely try all the above mentioned by PPs

I know when DS acts like that he either 1) needs burped 2) is about to pee/poop 3) has peed and needs a nappy change 4) wants the other side 5) is tired and needs to be Moby'ed and rocked/sung to/have the vacuum cleaner run until he falls asleep.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*raejoy View Post
    needs to be Moby'ed
    Ha, I like that phrase, 'needs to be Moby'ed'!

I don't think it can be stressed enough that, for breastfeeding moms, establishing the baby's food supply is going to look much different than simply filling a bottle. There's a lot more to breastfeeding--mom and baby are both learning the art of breastfeedinas well as mom's body getting important feedback about how much of a milk supply needs to be establiwhed every single time the baby is put to the breast, even if the baby was 'just there'.

I have somewhat fond memories (aside from the fussing involved) of sitting and watching the entire series of The Wonder Years on Youtube while I nursed over and over in the evenings during the newborn period.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Stupid ipod touch and all its fat-fingered typos!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com