Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice regarding work opportunity and my 9 month old

Default Need advice regarding work opportunity and my 9 month old

I've been approached about a work from home position. Since it involves video conferencing and working with clients, it won't be possible to babywear or breastfeed my 9 month old, while Iwork. It's a really great opportunity and in time would get easier as my daughter gets older, but for the last 9 months she has been with me all the time. This position would mean bringingher to daycare for part of the day.

I don't think she would take a bottle at this point and does more biting than sipping from her cup, so it makes me nervous to leave her at a daycare. 4-5 hours would be the max that I couldcommit to, but I don't know how she will be, away from me considering I'm with her always. I nurse her on demand, carry her often in my ergo and she doesn't take a pacifier. She is good with her solids and naps in the Ergo.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by @llli*bxmom; May 27th, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Default Re: Need advice regarding work opportunity and my 9 month ol

If you are feeling enthusiastic about the position, I would give it a shot. My son was about that age when I put him in daycare part time and he loved it. It was hard at first for me, but he took to it straight away. He also had not been doing great at home with a sippy cup, but picked it up beautifully at daycare. I think seeing the toddlers drinking from cups helped move things along. Of course every baby is different, but it is worth a try if you really want the job. If you're not that excited about the opportunity, then maybe it's not the best fit for you. Ultimately only you know what's best for you. Good luck!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Could you hire someone to watch him in your home while you work? Then breastfeed him between conferences and video calls?

My place is not big enough so that if she's upset the clients would her. I also live in New York, where babysiting rates are insane. The daycare that my son goes to now is the one I would consider. He goes there when I do consulting work. I'm able to bring my 9 month old, so for that job it hasn't been an issue.