Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Moving from formula to breastmilk/breastfeeding?

Default Moving from formula to breastmilk/breastfeeding?

Hello,
    My LO is 12 days old. She initially did not latch on and we had to use a bottle. I have been pumping every time she feeds and she was getting a mix of breastmilk and formula.

Today she was able to latch on using a nipple shield and now I am not sure how/when to transition off the formula. Should we switch to exclusively breastfeeding and not worry about supplementing with formula? Also, how do I know if she is getting enough during each feeding? She was eating about 2.5oz per feeding in the bottle.

Thank you for your help!

Default Re: Moving from formula to breastmilk/breastfeeding?

Awesome, mama, congratulations on getting her to latch! That's a huge accomplishment. Others may have better advice for you, but for now check out this:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    The more she can latch and bf the better, but you'll have to make sure she's still getting enough. With a fully bf baby, that's done by looking at outputs - a good number of wet & poopy diapers every day. I will have to look up the exact numbers for you for a baby under 6 weeks (unless someone else can post it first); after six weeks, exclusively bf babies should have at least 5-6 wet diapers per 24 hours, and they can poop anywhere from more than once a day to less than once a week and still be fine.

ETA: she'll also need to nurse a lot to increase your supply, so my gues is that she will still be needing some supplements. If you can pump and give milk instead of formula, that would help your supply ramp up appropriately much faster.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

hi there mama. good advice and a great link from pp

just wanted to tell you you can do it. i think it can be hard to move away from knowing exactly how many oz a baby gets from a bottle to nursing directly but try to just stay focused on those diapers! i used to keep a notebook and pencil next to the changing table and just check off each diaper throughout the early days.

heres a link

set yourself up at a cozy chair, with your laptop, books, movies, snacks and just nurse your lo. most babies nurse more often than you expect, they are building your supply and being comforted so try to just go with it.

good luck.

I kept track of diapers in a notepad too. And setting up a nursing station is critical early on. You'll be nursing pretty much all the time for a little while, so you'll want to make yourself comfortable. I also had a sling and a couple different carriers so that I could take short walks and move around the house a little while still being able to nurse my baby and keep him happy.

Here is another article on normal nursing indicators (including diaper output). There is quite a bit of overlap with the article posted above (which is fantastic), but I have it on hand so I figured I'd post it anyway.

Congratulations on getting your baby to the breast. That is an incredible accomplishment and will be well worth it in the long run!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).