Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OUCH

Default Re: OUCH

someone said that their lactation consultant told them to pump every morning so you're at least starting off the day with empty breasts. i haven't used the pump in almost two days and i'm DYING of pain. My breasts are never empty. I practically beg my baby to feed just so i can get a little relief. i hate sleeping on my back but it's the only way i can sleep because if my breasts even so much as touch the mattress i cringe. this really sucks. i'm starting to think formula is the way to go because at least i won't be in pain anymore.

It was the same for me. It does suck. It really, truly does. But you will be even more engorged from lack of nursing and thus in even more pain if you wean, and by the time it gets better your supply would have regulated anyway. I've heard conflicting information about pumping once a day to "empty". I personally didn't want to risk signalling my body to make more milk. Perhaps you should seek out an IBCLC for personalized advice on the matter. It would be better than second hand information.

Have you tried the cold compresses or cold cabbage leaves? They really do help.

Are you block feeding? It takes some time, but it will get your supply under control. If you are, then you can try increasing the duration of the blocks to slow production more quickly. Use cold compresses or cabbage leaves between feedings for the pain.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

i don't really understand block feeding? should i just be nursing on one side for a majority of the day to allow the other to dry up a bit?

I would start out with 2-3 hour blocks. For the first 2-3 hours offer only the right breast. For the next 2-3 hours offer only the left breast. Keep switching back and forth like that. Leaving the milk to sit in the unused breast signals your body to produce less milk. It can take a little time, but it really does work. And you get closer to emptying your breasts, albeit one at a time. The unused breast will hurt. Use a cold compress on it to ease the pain.

Start now. I was in your shoes. I have literally felt your pain. And I can promise you that it will get better.

Start out with shorter blocks, 2-3 hours, and see if that does anything. If not, increase the block length- try 4-5 hours. 6-7 hours. Some moms have even had to go to 9 hour blocks.

Your unused breast is going to get super full and possibly quite uncomfortable. But the fullness is desirable, since having milk sit unused in the breast for a long time is what signals your body to decrease supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Increase block length as needed. I would give it several days to see how the shorter blocks are working then increase by a couple hours if necessary. Then give that several days. If at any point you feel like you are seeing gradual improvement, then your blocks are working and I would stick with that pattern.

Remember that this will still take some time to work. There is nothing that is going to reduce our supply overnight. Your body is learning, and you need to give it time to learn.

Massage your breasts in a warm shower or with a warm compress to work out clogs if that becomes a problem from leaving milk sit in the breast, but try to avoid heat on the breast otherwise as it can stimulate milk production. Cold is you friend. Use cold to treat the pain while you wait.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babiestl View Post
    someone said that their lactation consultant told them to pump every morning so you're at least starting off the day with empty breasts. i haven't used the pump in almost two days and i'm DYING of pain. My breasts are never empty. I practically beg my baby to feed just so i can get a little relief. i hate sleeping on my back but it's the only way i can sleep because if my breasts even so much as touch the mattress i cringe. this really sucks. i'm starting to think formula is the way to go because at least i won't be in pain anymore.
    Stopping won't help. And you will hurt while you dry up. Start block feeding. Try cabbage leaves.

Ad yes, it hurts. BTDT four times. But it doesn't last forever.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!