Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUCH

Default OUCH

I'm starting to get really tired of always being in pain. I posted a thread or two here about oversupply and NOTHING is helping. I constantly have stabbing feelings in both of my breasts. I'm desperately trying to shelf the pump but sometimes I need it...like the other night when I woke up at 4am drenched in milk and my breasts were like throbbing rocks. Even after DD eats, they're still not empty. It hurts to hold her because any pressure against them makes me want to cry. I have very small breasts to begin with and they feel like they're stretched to capacity and going to rip open. I've tried hot showers, using my hands to express some milk but nothing is helping. I'm in so much pain

Default Re: OUCH

I know what you are talking about. Your posts brought back a lot of memories for me. Before pregnancy my breasts were small to the point that I couldn't tell you a bra size because I never wore one, and I had the most horrible, painful engorgement those first few months after the birth of my son.

My son generally had normal looking poops (green and foamy only on occasion) so I only did some very minor block feeding - one breast per session or one breast per every two sessions during the worst of it.

Hand expression doesn't work well for me (even though my milk was spraying across the entire room, go figure) and I did pump a little, just enough for a little relief, even though it is not advised. I massaged my breasts in the shower (milk woud spray all over the place) to get the clogs out. I also used cold compresses for the pain. I just soaked a towel in some refrigerated water, wrang it out, and pressed against my breasts. This was really the only thing that effectively eased the pain.

More than anything though, I just had to wait it out. It started getting tolerable after 3 months for me, but there were still some issues and the transition was slow. Try the cold compresses; they really do tak the edge off. And hang in there. I promise it gets better!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I know it is hard -BTDT -- but it will end. Some of us have bodies that are a bit slow to recognize we are not feeding a football team

Have you tried cabbage leaves?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

ugh- 3 months until this gets better :-(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babiestl View Post
    ugh- 3 months until this gets better :-(
    Not necessarily! Every mom with oversupply takes a different amount of time for her body to figure out how much milk to make. It could be days, it could be a few weeks, it could be a few months. Weeks is probably more likely than months, particularly if you can just nurse and avoid the pump. Any time you empty the breast, your body gets the message to make more milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Everyone is different. My oversupply was pretty severe. And I did pump a bit on occasion which doesn't help. I don't think it normally takes quite that long to start feeling some relief.

Ouch. I definitely understand your pain. It is miserable, isn't it? I flinch when I see my toddler running at me for a hug...

One thing I didn't realize about the hot showers - is that they are beneficial to be in the moist heat, but not to let the shower run on your breast - that actually stimulates them more. I was actually aiming the shower at my breast because it felt good and I thought I was helping them...so instead now I get in the shower and let the water hit my shoulders and run down or keep my back to the water.

hang in there mama
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

I feel your pain momma! I am defnintely in the same boat. I wish I had a solution as well. Everything I do seems to make things worse. My little guy is so fussy and gassy and now his poops are more green than yellow. I'm definitely worried and don't know what to do since I go back to work in 2 1/2 weeks. I seriously can't work like this. I work with kids and they are always hugging and jumping on me....makes me cringe just thinking about it. I hope something starts working for you soon! Hang there and know you are definitely not alone!

is it bad to let DD cluster feed? she tends to do that at night but now i'm wondering if that exacerbates the situation.

It is good to let her cluster feed. You should let her nurse as much as she wants. Limiting nursing is not the way to deal with supply issues. You can block feed through the cluster feeding to help regulate supply. Offer the same breast for a couple hours, then offer the other breast for the next couple hours. The signal sent by milk remaining in the unused breast will offset the signals sent from the frequent nursing.