Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: STTN and supply

Default STTN and supply

Hi ladies. I know some others have recently posted on this topic but I thought I'd throw my question about there too...DD (8 weeks) has settled into a pattern (if you can call the last 4 nights a pattern ) of wanting to go to bed around 9pm (and nursing at that time), sleeping until about 3am when she will wake and nurse, then back to sleep until about 6:30am or 7am. It seems the heavens have blessed me although I realize it might not last! She is gaining great, has tons of wets and poopies and almost always nurses from one breast per feeding (I have some OS). Sometimes I pump the side she didn't nurse from before bed, sometimes I don't. When she wakes at 3am, I pump (small manual pump) the side she didn't nurse from (get about 3 or 4 ounces). When she is up for the day around 7am I also pump the side she didn't nurse from. I generally don't pump the non-nursed sides throughout the day - just at night and in the morning. During the day she nurses about every 2 or 2.5 hours. Does this sound OK, supply-wise? I don't want supply to go down too much. I feel full during these stretches but not uncomfortably engorged. Just wanted some reassurance.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: STTN and supply

Why are you pumping? Are you doing it to build a stash for at work? As long as she's nursing on demand, has enough wet and dirty diapers, then you have a large enough supply. And 3 or 4 ounces out of one side, while nursing on demand, is really on the edge of oversupply, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the response! I was primarily pumping to start a little freezer stash as I will be going back to work in about a month. But I try to to worry too much if I don't pump the "unused" side.

903 ounces donated.

remember that you really don't need more than the first day's worth of milk. i kind of went crazy pumping and ended up donating 500 oz - which is wonderful, but if you can skip that 3 am pump, wouldn't you want to?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Roll with it!

And I wouldn't go crazy getting a lot of milk in storage. And don't forget to check for lipase. You can have it with one baby and not with another or vice versa.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks ladies!! I will check for lipase. Hopefully it won't be an issues...

903 ounces donated.