Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lipase issue ?

Default Lipase issue ?

I am currently BFing my 7-week old. I pump abt twice daily and freeze upto 5 oz of milk.

I checked for any lipase in 7-day old frozen milk and found that the milk tasted as good as fresh milk.

How long should i freeze and check before i can be sure of not having the "lipase problem"??

Default Re: Lipase issue ?

If your milk still tastes good after 7 days you should be in the clear. I've only checked for the effect in fresh milk kept in the refrigerator, though. I know that freezing does not deactivate the enzyme, but I'm not sure if activity slows at certain temperatures or not. To be certain about it, you might want to keep an ounce of fresh milk in the refridgerator for a week and periodically smell and taste it rather than tasting thawed frozen milk.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks phi

I have tested milk in refrigerator for upto 3 days, tastes good. Will check for a longer period.
    Also, we don't have a deep freezer, it is a freezer attached to our refrigerator. Does that limit the expiration date?

If the freezer has a separate door, then ideally you should use it before 3-4 months. However, I've seen some sources say that you can use it up to 6 months (which I've done because I saved way too much milk - and it was fine, I just smelled and tasted it first), but it's probably best not to push it.

I think milk in a deep freezer is good for 6-12 months.

It sounds like you are probably okay on the lipase front. You might want to check just a few days longer with the fresh milk just to be certain. I'm sure someone will pop in and correct me if I'm wrong about testing the frozen milk. I'm really not entirely sure about that, but I figure better safe than sorry. I do remember reading something about it at specific temperatures, but that was so long ago...

You also might want to check again in a month or two. I did not have lipase issues early on, but some of my frozen milk from later points did have it and it was pretty gross.

Yes, check it after freezing, but usuall, if fresh milk still tastes good after a week in the fridge, your frozen will be fine.

In a side by side, use it in 3-4 months, faster if you can (my side by side actually recommends not storing anything in the freezer part for more than a month, probably because every time you open the door, all the cold air comes out). In a deep freeze, it's at least 12 months. They say 12, but I'm using milk now that is 14 months old with no ill effects.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I checked one frozen pack from two weeks back and it was metallic tasting
    however, I did not remove the air completely from the bag. Does that affect the taste ? Or accelerate lipase activity?

That sounds like lipase to me. Air in the bag shouldn't have much impact. Lipase and it's effects are harmless, so you can see if your daughter will still drink the milk. My son drank milk that smelled pretty off with no problem.*

If she refuses, then you can mix some fresh with the frozen to see if she will take it.

Start scalding your milk before freezing. That will inactivate the lipase.

If LO will take it, it doesn't matter Try mixing it with fresh; this is how I extend both my fresh and frozen.

Scald what you plan to freeze, or if you will be using it within the week, don't freeze it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Phi and Susan

My LO did take it, but I felt gross giving it to her. Also over a period of 4-5h I could see fat particles floating. She didn't reject it even then. But I don't want to give her that.

When I heat the milk, how much should I heat it and for how long? Should I just transfer to the freezer bag immediately and freeze or should I let the milk come to room temp before freezing ?

Thnx again for your support

There is a whole thread here on scalding milk.

And here is some info on lipase and scalding from KellyMom.

I put the milk I pumped for the day in a pot. Heated until bubbles formed around the edge of the pot. Put the pot in an ice bath to cool. Then filled freezer bags.

There is info on using a bottle warmer to scald if you have one in that first link. I've never done it, but a friend does and she says it's really easy.

I get fat separating from the liquid even with the freshest milk, so really I don't think you need to worry about that. The milk is perfectly safe to drink. But do scald any newly expressed milk before freezing!