Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid issues. Advice/encouragement

Default Thyroid issues. Advice/encouragement

Hello. I am due with my 3rd boy in about 2 weeks. I did not have any thyroid issues in the past but last year I had my thyroid removed due to a rare form of thyroid cancer.
    My thyroid levels have varied throughout the preg, high in the second trimester, but more recently, I have been on 200mcg of synthroid which brought my levels to .125. This was 2 weeks ago so they could likely be even lower. I've been instructed by my high risk ob and endo to stay on the 200 and then go down to 150 after I give birth.
    I am very concerned about my levels affecting my ability to bf.
    The drs don't seem to understand how impt bfing is for me and just keep reminding me that this is best for me and the baby.
    Has anyone had experiences with thyroid issues and bfing and it's effect on your milk supply?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Thyroid issues. Advice/encouragement

I don't have personal experience with thyroid problems, but have heard that they can affect a mom's milk supply. As far as I know, if a mom gets regular tests and keeps her levels at a normal level, there's no reason to worry.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've had thyroid problems for a long time, I was able to nurse my 3 girls with no problems but my levels are under control. As long as you see your endocrinologist regularly, you'll be fine.

Thanks. Any advice on where levels should be for optimal bfing? I am on the hypo end (TSH at .125) now and have been instructed to drop to 150 after delivery. I am worried it will take me too long to adjust during those first critical weeks and this will effect my ability to bf.
    I supplemented my first bc I had a breast reduction. But my second I did not so I was looking forward to a great nursing relationship this time.
    It is difficult to find good info. Thanks.

I meant hyper end. Thanks.

perhaps infantrisk.com might have some good advice, at least about the medications? worth calling - thye'll give individualized advice.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It appears hat hypothyroidism is the main concern with respect to milk supply, and medications are more of a concern with hyperthyroidism. I don't know anything about specific levels though.

Here is some information on thyroid problems and breast feeding.

There is a link to more detailed references at the bottom of the page.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks. Yes, I have seen the KellyMom link. Medications are not the issue for me. I think hypo makes it difficult but I have read that hyper can also affect supply. It can take weeks to adjust to a new level so I want to make sure I am at an optimal level at birth.
    It's great to get others experiences. Thanks

I saw that hyperthyroidism can potentially (but not necessarily) interfere with letdown. I've heard that marshmallow root can help with that. Sorry, I have no direct experience with this so I don't have much to offer. Maybe try contacting an IBCLC to discuss it. A professional might be able to give you more detailed information.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I have Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism. I am a little confused why you are hyperthyroid when you have had your thyroid removed. That suggests to me that your medication is too high.

I am currently on .125 Synthroid and am able to maintain a full BF supply. I did have trouble initially but this was due to hospitalization due to a different issue and not being able to nurse baby. If your thyroid levels are in normal range, you shouldn't have a problem. I am a bit concerned about your doc's recommendation to change your level of medication without a blood test. I've never heard of adjusting meds automatically withou looking at your levels. Can you get a second opinion on this?

In any case, don't automatically assume you will have a problem. You should be ok if thyroid level are good, and there are ways to boost supply if you are a little on the low side. But your thyroid should be monitored postpartum to make sure your level are good. I had to increase meds postpartum because they nosedived.

Keep us posted and stay tuned into the forums for help!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!