Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shooting pain from nipple to armpit?

Default Shooting pain from nipple to armpit?

Hey lovely ladies!
    BF is going well but lately i've noticed this weird sharp pain that goes from my nipple to my armpit when she feeds.
    I thought it might just be a strong let down, but I feel it once she's latched and as soon as she starts sucking - she does have a very strong suck.
    It kinda hurts but it's a weird pain that I can't describe - in a way it's almost like she's somehow scratching an internal itch - sounds weird but I can't describe it any other way so once she starts sucking there is some kinda of weird relief once the pain starts - I don't have any lumps or anything to indicate a blocked duct and it's the breast that doesn't seem to produce as much - any ideas?

I do have very sore arms from feeding her and falling asleep with her in arms at night I think - so there is a bit of strain in that area - but not sure if that is what is causing it - could it be from using the pump and the pump putting strain on the nipple maybe?

Bizarre!

Default Re: Shooting pain from nipple to armpit?

hi there, mama. I'm sorry I dont have any answers for you but I am sure that the knowledgable and experienced Mamas on here will know! I have the same thing happening to me so I will wait with you and Im sure it is some type of normal. Only thing with me is that I do feel like a little lump in that area and so I try compressions and massage to work it out- hoping it doesnt lead to more troubles. I have that in my left breast and painful bleb on my right nipple.

YOUCH!

Do you feel it the whole time you are nursing or is it just when she latches on and starts sucking and then it stops? Some mamas experience a tingling/itching/burning sensation when they let down, could it be that? If so it's normal and it does start to fade after a while.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I feel it the whole time - but my let down starts within 5 seconds sometimes - it's really quick to action - so as soon as she's latched I feel it - it's the weirdest feeling - maybe it is let down I don't feel it when she stops feeding?
    Could be a slight blocked duct maybe?

Hey Mommylove - nice to hear from you!! Hope all is going well with you and your beautiful baby x

hello tanpixie!
    shooting pains while nursing should not be ignored.
    I had to wear an all cotton, no wire nursing bra and I could not wear nursing pads b/c they kept giving me sorer nipples. I also had to hold my breast and massage them while the LO nursed. that is what worked for me.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Hey Esthervegan, did you find out what it was caused from?
    My breast are to small to hold whilst feeding ha ha ... I just cant really do that - I do massage them after though, I"m wondering if it's my pump?
    I pump only to make extra just in case we need it or if she's feeding funny - then my paranoid mind doesn't feel so bad if i know i can give her breast milk. (!) then at least I know she's getting some milk.

My shooting pains were the result of letting my LO sleep for too long a stretch, from an ill fitting bra, from not drinking enough, from having an impacted wisdom tooth that i'd ignored for too long. The list goes on.
    once I had trouble shooted and corrected these issues, the pains and soreness subsided. Until I had another baby. Then I had to relearn everything anew!LOL.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair