Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thyroid issues. Advice/encouragement

Default Re: Thyroid issues. Advice/encouragement

I also had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer. It's been 7 years now, so I am pretty good at feeling how my thyroid levels are when they're in the right place and when they're not, kwim? I was on 175mcg at the end of my pregnancy, and dropped to 150mcg at about 3-4 months postpartum. My TSH levels were really low, (I think in that range, maybe .3 but I can't find the actual number, sorry) and the endo. was wanting to reduce my dose mostly to prevent osteoporosis later on. She seemed to think that it would not be a problem for bfing (either way) and she seemed a least to a certain degree knowledgeable of bfing problems and thyroid problems, which was refreshing. I never had any problems with low supply (more like bordering on oversupply though I didn't know it). Of course the mcgs you take to be at the right level varies per person, but it sounds to me like the amount you would be taking is probably not going to be too far off, but maybe need some fine-tuning. But I'd recommend just keeping in touch with your endocrinologist, for sure. It takes a while for thyroid levels to adjust, so maybe getting some levels drawn a month or so in if you're worried about it once you switch back to your new dose?

good luck!

Thanks Lisa. My endo and my high risk OB both think I should stay on this dosage and say that it is the hyper end of the spectrum but not really hyper at this stage off pregnancy. I was only on synthroid for less than 6 months when got pregnant. At that time my levels were 3.5 TSH. They kept raising my dose but my levels kept going up so finally she raised me to 200mcg and it brought my levels down.
    I thought I should be on a lower dose now but the endo is afraid I will become hypo and would rather keep me on the high end of normal/borderline hyper.
    I am glad they want me to lower the dose right away as once I give birth, I likely won't need as much synthroid. She will test me right away - these are excellent drs - and adjust as necessary.
    My concerns that they care about my health and baby's at this time but they are no overly concerned with me being able to breastfeed.
    I am looking for a balance - what is best for me and baby now plus what will put me at the optimal level for bfing success.
    Thanks.

Thank you rakoonz. That is helpful. It is great to hear other people's experiences.
    At first my endo said to stay on the 200 and get tested but I was not happy with this and think 200 is too high so they discussed it and agreed to 150 after birth. I will continue to get tested regularly. I could get tested all the time as far as I am concerned - I would really like to get tested again now to make sure I didnt go down too much. At .125 TSH, I was certain she would lower me but she did not.
    I am glad to hear your supply.
    I had a breast reduction years ago which has effected my supply. I did not need of supplement my second and I would hate to have to supplement this time around.
    I read at least one person say that they were too hyper and even after an adjustment, they could never make enough milk and had to stop that is devastating to me.

This all started when a client of mine (who had her thyroid removed) told me that I would not be able to bf. She had no milk and was told it was bc of her thyroid. Of course I now know that this is not necessarily the case. I am just getting nervous and want to make sure I am doing all I can.

Do you remember what your levels where after a couple of months when they lowered your dose? I am guessing this did not effect your supply?
    I would really love to see something showing the ideal range for bfing and TSH levels but this does not seem to exist.

Have you seen the book Making More Milk? This book delves into the many different causes of low milk supply and possible specific protocols for increasing supply. It is written for the layperson and is inexpensive, you can get it online if not at your library or local bookstore. It also can give you ideas for continuing breastfeeding even if it turns our your supply is so low that you cannot exclusively breastfeed. Breastfeeding need not be an all or nothing proposition.

As it sounds like you already know, unfortunately, due to general misunderstandings/misinformation that abounds, often even in the medical community, about normal breastmilk production and normal infant growth and behavior, many mothers-even those who have no potential physical barriers to appropriate milk production- become convinced (or are convinced by thier hcp) that they have "no" milk or not enough milk for thier babies. It sounds like you breastfed your older children, so that puts you in a more secure/knowledgable position. Just to back up your knowledge and to be armed against any doubters, while researching your own health issues as regards breastfeeding, I also suggest you research what is normal and what is not when it comes to milk production (especailly in the early days) infant behavior, how to tell baby is getting enough, and general tips for getting breastfeeding off to a the best start possible, if only to reasure any doubters around you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lisa1124 View Post
    Do you remember what your levels where after a couple of months when they lowered your dose? I am guessing this did not effect your supply?
    I would really love to see something showing the ideal range for bfing and TSH levels but this does not seem to exist.
    I haven't actually gone and gotten them drawn, though I should have at about the beginning of May, I just hate the whole process after having done it so much. How 'bout I go this week, and I'll find out and get back to you. But no, my supply has not been affected, though it sounds like with the breast surgery, you have a slightly different situation added on.
    I think that would be an awesome study, too, but as common as thyroid problems are postpartum, it seems like there are very few women of a child-bearing age that have had thyroid cancer and lobectomies. But I imagine probably just having levels within normal range for a non-lactating person would be about right?
    Is your doctor trying to keep you at a high dose of synthroid to suppress TSH to prevent a return of the cancer? I think that's why I was being kept in a slightly hyper end of things state for a while until they were sure the cancer was kicked in the butt That was all a long while before I got pregnant, though, so I don't know what they would have suggested as far as dropping back or keeping the dose high.

And I heartily agree with Meg's advice.

Thanks rakoonz. I definitely was not being supressed and was actually on the hypo end of 3.5 when I got pregnant. I had an extremely rare form of thyroid cancer (called medualary). Only 1000 cases a year and mostly old people. It does not effect thyroid function, rather c cells, so there was no need for radioactive iodine or to supress. If it returns, it would be in a different gland.
    So you can add that to the reason why I can be a test case ha ha!

That's the frustrating thing. I overcame the reduction issues and I don't want to have more issues.
    I was still bfing when I had the surgery and up until 20 weeks of this preg so I'm hoping my body knows what to do and kicks right back into place. I've nursed for over 5 years of my life so far.

It seems like more people had issues being hypo than hyper. I did read of one woman who had issues being hyper which freaked me out. Hopefully, my past experience will serve me well. I am very determined.

This caught my attention because I was told I may have Reynolds Phenomenon and was told to go get b-6. I went to the local herb store and the women there said she thought it may be due to my thyroid, she did some odd little test on me telling me to hold out my arm while she pushed on it...... I am also wondering if my daughter is getting enough, she has at least 5 wet diapers a day and typically 2 dirty ones so I assume she is but she has not been herself lately, crabby, and pushing off the breast but still acting hungry and getting mad when she goes back on.... for you ladies who have had an issue with your thyroid has your child acted the same? And what did you do for it, I am talking to my doctor tomorrow since it is my post pardom checkup